Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eh, so I just got my rabbit right? They gave me a bag of food, that has a picture of a rabbit and says "rabbit diet" on it. I checked the protein and it sounded right, so I take it home. I just discovered, though, that this food is dangerous for my rabbit!!!

It has dried corn, I think dried peas and a lot of other stuff in it. Luckily, I think he just got a bit of the runs from it, but that was yesterday, and now his poop is hard.

I was just wondering, now that he doesn't have the runs anymore, should I still be concerned? We are switching today to an all pellet and fresh veggies diet and with the change in diet should I look forward to anyother bowel irregularities?

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Hi :wave:

As long as you change his pellets to a healthier brand and his poops look normal again I would think that he'll be fine.

You didn't mention hay, and since I'm not sure if you have prior experience with rabbits I just thought I'd mention that unlimited hay is the most important part of a rabbits diet.

With his improved diet he should be fine. Just keep in mind that GI stasis is a major concern in rabbits and if he ever stops pooping or eating for a period of 12 hours or more then it should be considered an emergency. Not trying to scare you or anything, but it's good to get in a habit of monitoring what they eat and their...output :rolleyes:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes, make sure your bun is eating lots of hay. My bun had GI stasis and it ended up costing us $900 to save her. My vet recommended a Timothy hay pellet over alfalfa hay pellet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts