Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Sweet little Yuki is going in for his neuter next week I know his activity has to be limited and that the stitches take a week to heal ect. But during that first week can his neutered friend Apollo be kept with him ? ( apollo is sterile he is just keeping Yuki company) Or should Apollo be moved in with my girls and just move Yuki over when he is sterile?

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
My Sweet little Yuki is going in for his neuter next week I know his activity has to be limited and that the stitches take a week to heal ect. But during that first week can his neutered friend Apollo be kept with him ? ( apollo is sterile he is just keeping Yuki company) Or should Apollo be moved in with my girls and just move Yuki over when he is sterile?
If your vet uses glue, he should have very little effects after a couple of days especially with pain meds on board if needed. He should stay with Apollo and then you can judge how much healing needs to be done as per the incision made. My boys could be intro'd the next day as my vet has perfected his technique where you can barely tell. But some vets still do 2 incisions, and stitches.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My vet did stitches on Apollo Only one incision though as far as I could tell. So Yuki should be in the smaller cage by himself until he heals enough to be reintroduced to Apollo?

Apollo was fully healed in a week and successfully introduced to Yuki his hormone levels dropped incredibly fast.

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
My vet did stitches on Apollo Only one incision though as far as I could tell. So Yuki should be in the smaller cage by himself until he heals enough to be reintroduced to Apollo?

Apollo was fully healed in a week and successfully introduced to Yuki his hormone levels dropped incredibly fast.
Since Yuki has no hormonal issues he can go right back with Apollo, and will probably appreciate the normalcy after a confusing day to him.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My issue was more Apollo likes to wrestle with Yuki and I dont want them tearing stitches ... When Apollo wants to play he doesnt take no for an answer he bounces around and will even push Yuki out of the hammock. Will Apollo sense that he has to be gentle with Yuki?

And If I remember correctly even though after a week he will not have the urge to mount anything I still should not introduce him to the girls for 3 weeks correct?

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
My issue was more Apollo likes to wrestle with Yuki and I dont want them tearing stitches ... When Apollo wants to play he doesnt take no for an answer he bounces around and will even push Yuki out of the hammock. Will Apollo sense that he has to be gentle with Yuki?

And If I remember correctly even though after a week he will not have the urge to mount anything I still should not introduce him to the girls for 3 weeks correct?
Rats are pretty good at sensing when their friend is sick or not well, so see how Apollo acts first, and if he continually bugs Yuki, then remove him for the night so he can sleep off the effects of the anesthetic. He most likely will get a pain injection after the surgery that will take away the discomfort. Watch for twisting and owwie stretches, and pressing his belly down on the ground, excessive licking, etc...he will need pain meds by then.

Yes 2.5-3 weeks is about the right amount of time to guarantee infertility. I start my intro's at 2.5 weeks post-neuter.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok will do :) Apollo is pretty good with Yuki he just gets in moods to play and Yuki doesnt like it lol. I still have baby ibuprofen if needed my vet does not give pain killers with a neuter.

And Ok Better safe than sorry :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts