Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a question about illegel pets. My question is simple. If certion pets are illegel in certion state like in PA you cant have degues or gliders and other pets, so why do they sell the food for them here? I can see if there close to the border like the one in warnen pa sells the food for degus but cant sell the animal its self. nut they are close to the NY state border. Also I know that some pet foods made for other animals can be used to mix or be feed to other animals like they say chin food and g-pig food can be used to make or be feed to degus with, along with other things added.
Granted I have seen in bold letter were Gliders are Illegel but never seen were its state degues are and some other pets they say is illegel and dont see the names of the pets listed. the point is if they are illegel then why sell the food and suplys designed for them only? if their illegel then they food should not be sell the food and suplys for them. that confusses people. I can see if you have a licenc to have them but there are not enough people that have them to sell the food in stores so they order it.
IS this maybe to done to see who is buying the food for illegel pets to see how many people have illegel pets here and or how bought the food that has the illegel pets. Becuae there are some people that are are some classifileds that have degues that are for sale in PA and I know people not personaly that have them here, I have called our SPCA and game comishion and asked them and the one person that I talked to at the game comision siad she has never heard of a degue and the people at the SPCA here dont know but they know people who have them as pets. But in pet stores they are not alowed to sell them and I aked and they said the were just told they were not. So I am wondeing if some pets that are not sold or alowed to be sold in pet stores are legel to own and get from breeders just not alowed to be sold in stores. Some of this stuff has be really confussed since I have asked before of degues were illegel on here and told yes they were. And I have since seen them on a lot of adds for sale.

·
Hello Earthling
4,729 Posts
Just because certain animals are illegal to keep does not meant that people don't have them. Usually the laws against keeping animals aren't really enforced UNLESS the animal posses a large threat.

Selling the food for said animals is not illegal ergo because people keep pets illegally the shops will sell the food and supplies.

·
Curmudgeon
1,843 Posts
Just because the pets are illegal doesn't mean they don't exist. They are likely still out there because people A) Don't know they are illegal, or B) Don't care.

Either way, there is money to made on selling the food, ...which is legal. If there is money to be made, someone is going to try to make it.

...and seriously, ...spellcheck.

Your post gives me a headache just trying to read it.

Bob

·
Registered
626 Posts
That is kinda ironic though....I mean what kind of a message does that send to people....Hey it is illegal to have them, but my store sells the food so I could take care of one if I wanted....I agree Diamond it is funny

·
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have serched on line all I could on illegel pets like suger gliders are on some pa state laws pets not to have in bold face but nothing about Degus although I know people who have them and see them on the clisifieds all the time.
I asked the pet shops and they said that by law there not alowed to sell them becuase thier illegel to sell and some say have. I am wondering if its illegel for certion pets to be sold just not instores were they get shipments in a lot becuase I know that from what I have read on degus they can chew and cause a lot of damage. I called the spca here and DCNR (our wildlife they asked me what a degus was. lol I siad its a huge gerbil is the only thing I could say I told them i would like to know becuase I see them advertized every were but am told thier illegel. SO if they are why sell the food I know some are here legal and illegel but still if they are not alowed here then they should not sell the food it should have to be ordered that give people the wrong idea when they see food for pets that are illegel being sold.
Its dose get confussing and I think that it why some people get cought becuase they dont know or maybe its a way to catch people. then again I have seen were people advertized they are looking for a suger glider but we had probelms like a lot of other around her last year and the wildlife officer yelled at us becuase we had our garbage outside???? were eals we gonna put it our shed thats metal so it stinks more or in the house. So we tryed all sortas methods but nothing so he told us the last time if we called him again about the bear he would fine us, and then he say my ferrets and told me that they are illegell and I am to get ride of them or he was gonna fine me I told him go ahead and fine me know becuase in PA ferrets are legal and if he dont want to take care of the bear I would take care of it my self and report him.
So I called the head office back and told them what was siad and that guy even siad that ferrtes we legel and about a week later no more bear proablems so sometimes even asking around here is confussing unless its the right person. But I will I knew for shure a site that was PA law that states all things legal and rules and regulatins.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.