Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
Forgive my new question...I suspect it is a bit on the paranoid side and as many of you know, I am again a new rat mom, so bear with me!

My last two rat boys very much enjoyed a particular hidey hut from Super Pet (link below to see what it looks like) as it had a big front entrance, flat roof for lounging and so forth. I bought another one for my new boys but have not yet put it in their house. My question? I realized that this hut is made of pine wood.

I have read rave reviews from rat people about how much their rat kids love this hidey house, and my own boys used to love it too, but of course as soon as I saw the word PINE wood, I sort of freaked. I did not realize the last time around when I had Klausse and Wolfgang that this was pine or I would have brought it up to check!

Marc assures me that a pine wood house and the dreaded pine BEDDING are two different things and that this house is not going to cause any respiratory problems. I hope the folks on the forum can alleviate my worry wort state and tell me I am being silly and a pine wood house is not harmful to my rats. :rolleyes: Just had to ask!

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Pet-Chinchilla-Chin-Hideout/dp/B0002AS5MI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
You know, I really don't think there is much of a problem with this type of a house. I don't know for sure what the difference would be between pine shavings and pine wood, other than that maybe the shaving emit more of the toxins/dust? If you are unsure about it, you could just take it out and get them a plastic igloo house. My boys absolutely LOVED theirs, especially when it was packed with fleece blankies! :)

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is funny that you mentioned the plastic igloo because that is exactly what my boys have right now, except it is the small size one and they like the igloo but it is only suitable for baby sized ratties and I can see that they are fast becoming little chubbies that are growing fast, and their time with this igloo is coming to a close! They will soon not be able to fit through the opening, ha ha.
I think this igloo was left over from when we had our two gerbil boys. I COULD always buy them the big larger size one and not use the wood house but I remembered when I checked out the measurements of the larger igloo a long time ago that it was too large around to fit completely onto their blue shelving without going over the lip. Okay, talking out loud to myself now, ha ha. Sorry!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I put the igloo in the bottom of the cage, below the second level shelf. (Below the first shelf on the other side of the bottom level I had their litterbox.) That worked really well, because there was enough room to hang a hammock between the top of the igloo and the bottom of that shelf, so they used the igloo to step into their hammock. It was their favorite place to sleep for many months. :)

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, that is a great way to have a built-in step up platform to get to the second shelf! Nice idea!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts