Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a labrador sharpe mix, she's about 9 years old and lately she's been sneaking off when we're not looking to eat out of the cat's litterbox.

I have no idea why she is doing this, does anybody else? Could it be a way to settle her stomach, like how some dogs eat grass?

I'm quite baffled, not to mention sick of seeing cat litter on the tip of her nose.

Thanks,

Bree

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
It is just something that dogs do. (Oh the joy of canines) Reggie does it too and we have tried and tried to get him to stop. Now we have put in a 2nd litter box upstairs where he doesn't go and close the door to the laundry room during the day so he can't get to the downstairs one but the cats still have somewhere to go. We started calling it the kitty box buffet.

·
Registered
106 Posts
i dont have a cat...but if i did.. i probably would have the same problem.

coco thinks fresh poop is a canine delicacy!

it really is gross huh? especially when she tries to go in for a kiss afterwards..lol

but once... she ate so much food and her own poop...she ended up throwing up....

NOTHING is worst then vomited poop!

·
Fluffy Chimphead
1,037 Posts
Have you tired using a covered litter box, or as anther post put another litterbox where the dog can't get to it. I know our dog never used eat from the kitty litter box becuase she didn't know where it was and once she found it we made a box in to a cover for it by cutting a whole in to the side so the cat could get in but the dog was unable to get to it. we had it so that we could pull out the liter box from the top.

·
Dinky Corsetkisser
4,020 Posts
we have the big dome litter box with the staircase winding in...its helped alot with keeping the dogs out...but once in awhile it still happens...dogs are just wierd like that

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the box is covered with just a hole for the cats, but Pebbles still get's in. She even has to push open the closet door, which is cracked so the cats can get in but not nearly big enough for Pebbles.

Anyways, I'm glad to hear that my dog is just another weird dog and not some sort of medical mystery. Haha.

Thanks guys. =]

Bree

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
yes dogs are domb in that eat-poop kind of way. miy dogs both did it too. any cat poop outside or inside that they found, was immediatly inhaled. there's no stopping it lol. just PREVENT IT

·
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes
2,934 Posts
Oh my cockers LOVED cat poo. It was so disgusting. My dad called it hot hors'derves. We had the litter boxes in the laundry room and my dad cut a small hole in the dry wall so the cats could get in there but the dogs were too big. We just had to remember to keep the doors closed. Oh and make sure the dogs didn't decide to stick their head in the hole and trap a kitty in the laundry room.
So far I have kept Frank and Belle away from the boxes. The boxes have always been kept where the dogs cannot get to them. So have the cats for most of the time.
Once I swear Belle got cat poo in the yard. I am sure it was my neighbors cat. I think they used our sand trap for a box. I was not very happy and also not 100% sure. Still I could smell something a bit too familiar on her breath. I gave her a bunch of cookies and then brushed her teeth!

·
Miss New Booty
5,875 Posts
kathydip said:
Once I swear Belle got cat poo in the yard. I am sure it was my neighbors cat. I think they used our sand trap for a box. I was not very happy and also not 100% sure. Still I could smell something a bit too familiar on her breath. I gave her a bunch of cookies and then brushed her teeth!
Ewwwww! :yuck: :rofl:
Yup it's a normal dog thing, it's pretty gross!

·
Registered
213 Posts
They do it because it's a delicacy for them! :D ours LOVE it. The only way to keep big dogs out, sadly, is to put the box too high for them or to put it somewhere they can't reach. Little dogs are easier to keep out. Not usually too much of a problem other than gross, but small dogs can overdo it..or one of ours did. A 4 lb Chihuahua ingested not only turds, but litter once. A BUNCH for a little dog. Poor guy passed it , but was very ill.

·
Fluffy Gerbilshorts
4,378 Posts
I haven't had dogs or cats for awhile, but my question is, do they do it for a reason? I know that mice and hamsters eat their own poo to get the nutrients that they lack...........

I gues to doggs it just tastes good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts