Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. My name is Sarah, and I have a female mouse, Charley, who is about 1 year and 7 months old. She is by herself now, but had a sister that needed to be put down about 1 year and 3 months ago.

Lately, I have noticed some hind leg paralysis in Charley. Also, she has been making noises more often--like little sniffles and such. She still eats and drinks fine. She's also pretty chubby. I've tried putting her on a diet and trying to get her to exercise to no avail. Today when I took her out I noticed that she was a little crusty in the middle of her back. There is no wound or scab, just little crusty things. I was able to rub some of it out, but not all of it.

I know Charley is getting old, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me how much longer mice are expected to live after developing hind leg paralysis. She has had it for a few months. She doesn't go on her wheel as much and when she does, it's never for very long. At most a couple minutes. When I take her out she tends to just sit there now. I'm just starting to think she may not have as high a quality of life she used to and am starting to think about putting her down soon. If anyone had any input, I would love to hear it. I don't want to put her down without getting some advice and end up regretting it. I plan on taking her to see a vet soon as well.

Thanks! And sorry this was so long!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Well, I wouldnt put her down unless something was wrong with her not just because she is old. If she gets sick I would take her to the vet

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Has she been alone most of her life then? You might want to consider adopting an older mouse girl to be her companion in her waning months.

Daisy an old rescue mouse I took in, is over 2 and she happily accepted a young natal rat and 2 young mice girls into her family. It's given her new life after being alone for 2 years. She was very scared and didn't do a lot, gave her a wheel, and then friends and my old lady now popcorns :D

The sniffling could be a URI coming up, and she may need a a vet and antibiotics. The crusties are likely from her not grooming as well as she was able to. I would just take a damp warm cloth and give her a gentle wipe down to help out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts