Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to owning mice. I bought 4 females about 3 weeks ago and I just bought 2 new ones 5 days ago.

They are in a quarantine tank for the time being. I have noticed that one has started mounting the other. The one that is doing the mounting does not have any visiable signs of being a male.
My question is: Do female mice mount other female mice to show dominance, or do I have a male mouse and just not know it.

My other 4 mice have not done this as far as I know.
Any info would be helpful.
Thank you!!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have never had mice personally, but I have often heard that female mice establish their dominance by mounting one another, much like a dog. Maybe wait for someone more experienced to let you know, but until then I'm going to ask how old your mice are and if you sexed them yourself or if you let the pet store do it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
hold them and lift their tails up and look for balls.. should be pretty obvious if theyre old enough.. im sure other members can give u more advice then that

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Female mice do mount each other for dominance and even during play/when another female is in heat.

Male mice can suck their testicles into their body though,so double check them. Male mice have a wider space there then females. Click this picture to make it bigger.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts