Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Poooooppp!
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I've been looking around and there are these drop things you put in your rabbits water that's suppose reduce urine/body odor, does anyone know if this works? and it is safe for the bun? how does it eliminate the odor? I'd like to try it but I don't want to hurt my buns, I wanna make sure it is safe.

also, i've been using the cage cleaning wipes they sell at the store to clean up their condo, but they're kinda pricey, what else could I use? are regular wipes acceptable? any suggestions? the ones I've been using leave everything smelling good and clean up their litter boxes pretty good, I'd like to try something else that could work just as well.

also, another questions, I switched my buns to Feline Pine (non clumping) and so far it has been working well, however, it seems the buns have shredded some of the wood, making it a pile of dust, is this ok? is it safe?

thanks for your help!

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
I don't know about the feline pine- Jess or Dragon might.

I wouldn't add anything to my pet's water that promises such things. It's unnecessary chemicals that probably will not keep its promise. There should not be any unpleasant odors though. I lived with an un-neutered male before and he stunk but Simon is neutered?? His stink just might take some time to go away. I seriously would not trust that liquid. They really don't need anything like that. If there's a truly offensive odor its because of something health or sanitation related.

Cage cleaning wipes are also probably very unnecessary. I have bought such jargon because warm water and, if need be, vinegar works just as well. You have that lovely colorful NIC right?? There really shouldn't be that much clean up unless they're spraying. Which is a habit that should go away with their recently neutered hormones.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
About the Feline Pine - it's suppose to be as safe as any other litter. However, I wouldn't feel comfortable about my rabbits eating any litter, no matter the brand. I have grates on my litter boxes so my rabbits cannot get to their litter, so I don't have the problem of them eating/shredding it. Sorry I can't be more help there.

What are the ingredients of the water additive? Rabbits have such sensitive digestive systems, I'd be really wary of putting unknown chemicals in their water.

Some people use imitation vanilla extract and/or decaffeinated tea ( I've heard people recommend Chamomile - make sure chamomile is the only ingredient and it doesn't have any additives) in rabbits water to reduce urine odor. The vanilla is suppose to make the urine smell more like vanilla, and the tea does something to the ammonia in the urine so it doesn't smell as strong. Vanilla is suppose to repel flies as well. Caffeine is toxic to animals, so if you give tea make sure it's caffeine free. The tea and vanilla need to be diluted in the water, of course. Don't give them straight - just a small amount added to the water.

The clean cage wipes are unnecessary. I make a spray cleaner for my rabbits cage by mixing vinegar and water in a spray bottle...then just spray it on the cage and wipe it off with a paper towel. It does a great job at cleaning, even urine spots in the cage, is really cheap, and non toxic.

Do your rabbits smell bad though? Are they spayed/neutered? Rabbits who's cages are kept nice and clean really shouldn't have much of a smell to them. I clean my rabbit room thoroughly twice a week and the only thing I smell from them is the smell of their hay. If your rabbits really smell bad and they are fixed, you might need to reevaluate your cleaning schedule.

·
Poooooppp!
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They don't really smell bad, but they're in my room, so I can definitely smell them, If I want to try chamomile, how do I do it? do I make some tea and put it in? or... do i put a tea bag in their water??? this sounds like a good idea, their pee is super strong, and the only real issue is how bad it smells when I clean out their litter box.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Chamomile tea (check the ingreds to make sure its just chamomile).. I'd say just drop a bag in a bit of water to dilute the leaves and give it to them weak. I know Acacia won't touch stuff like that, she likes her water plain :D Akina, on the other hand, did enjoy the cham tea- I didn't know it reduced odor!!! lol :D I just read it was safe and tried it as a treat. Make sure they have the option of water available too!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts