Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3 little rats I just got recently are really really messy and I have to clean the cage out every 2 days with my other ones it would only have to be changed once a week. Is it normall for them to smell so bad and mess the cage up just in 2 days. I keep saying its only because they're little but is it?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I've never had to clean out the entire cage more than once a week. What size cage do you have? What kind of mess is it? (e.g. food, wet bedding, soiled bedding, etc.)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well its food everywhere and also there poo and pee its so bad i have to clean it every 2 days because of the smell my other rats never smellt that bad they didnt even smell.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
What kind of food do you give them, and what kind of litter/bedding are you using? Some types of litter and bedding smell worse than others, especially when they get wet.

Also, have you litter trained them yet? If not, you should definitely try it, because it will help with the cage maintenance so you only have to empty the litter box and not clean the whole cage so often.

·
Official Loofah Tester
1,365 Posts
I noticed my hairless rat boys, who had been fed a poor diet before I got them, were stinky for a good 2 months after I got them. They smelled exactly like they'd been rolling in dried horse manure. Perhaps not so bad outside, but inside a house pretty rank and pungent. All of their felt bedding reeked too, even after I'd wash it.

The smell finally eased off significantly once they'd been on a proper diet for a while, though they always had a distinctive subtle barnyard twang to their odor up until the day I neutered them. Now they have that pleasant corn chip smell like the other rat boys.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the bedding is from the pet shop and its wood pellets, their food i bought from the breeder it was like hamster food with other stuff in it like a bit wheet cornflakes dried worm things and thats it, when I bought them the lady said they should be litter traine but there not so I put there old litter into the litter box so maybe they will decide to poo in there since all there poo was in there. @ Storyseeker they smell exacly like what you describe.
If it is because of there food what do you recommend i fed then this rat nuggets but they wont eat them and my older rats loved them but they dont seem to eat it.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I recommend a homemade dry food mix--it ends up being much cheaper in the long run, and it is also much, much healthier for them than store-bought seed-based foods. You can see my mix ingredients here:

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f16/...ingredients-ok-58470.html?highlight=shunamite

This mix should be supplemented by high quality lab blocks (I use Harlan Teklad) and fresh vegetables/fruit--but make sure that the veggies/fruit are low in water content, or else they might start having loose stools. Here is a good list of safe fruit and veggies: http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/community/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=64533

For litter training, here is a good thread to read:
http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f16/...ome-trouble-58594.html?highlight=litter+train

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.