Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

It's been a while since my last post, but it's time for some expert advice from you lot again :D

My current rabbit hutch has become weathered and damp... it's time to bite the bullet and buy a new one.

I have a lop eared rabbit... and she's massive (fat). Has anyone seen any decent hutches recently, that are suitable for the (ahem) larger rabbit?

I don't want to spend too much!

Thanks in advance for any replies!

:confused:

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Personally, I hevent seen any store-bought hutches for sale that are suitable for any rabbit, let alone a large breed! When I had my buns outside, we built them a massive hutch. Its 8ft long, 2 ft wide, and a little over 2 ft tall at the tallest part (it was a slanted roof). It was divided into 2 parts, so each bun got a 4ft x 2ft space. :) When Smudge moved inside, we took out the divider and Oreo got the whole thing to himself!

This is what Smudges half looked like:

If you cant build a hutch, you can look on Craigslist. Ive seen some beautiful, huge hand-made hutches for sale on there, but they can be a tad pricey. If you want a nice hutch, be prepared to spent at least $200 on it. The one that we built ended up costing about $300, I think.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Exactly, if you want to build an outdoor hutch for the winter be prepared to spend a lot on heating and ventilation etc. . . I would personally take her inside and build her a NIC pen so she's garenteed warm and around people.
Also, is bunny chubs because of being a large breed? Or because she is legit overweight (Im unsure if you made her fat for the winter)?? If she's overweight it is because her diet is bad and she is not getting enough exercise. I had to deal with a fat bunner when I got her she could not bend under to eat her cecals.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
You can get NIC cubes at Target or Walmart or somewhere like that. Just attach the cube panels together with cable ties and... Ta-Daaa! You have a pen. :D

Oh, I thought she was just a large breed, not fat.... Oops, read that wrong.
I didnt even include the costs of winter preparation. You'll need heated water dishes/bottles, an insulated hide, a small animal heating pad, and heavy blankets, tarps, or boards to protect your bun from the wind and snow.
I always kept my buns inside the majority or the winter.

And as for feeding... You dont want to make them gain weight. Ever. You can provide some higher calorie foods like alfalfa, but they still need plenty of exercise and what not.

·
Registered
82 Posts
how sturdy are these NIC cubes? I would like to figure out a way to 'beautifully' rig NIC cubes to their crate for when I am gone longer in the day. They haven't had any urine accidents since they were tiny babies...but I do have carpet in my room and would have to figure out a clean way of preventing my carpet from being damaged in case of an accident....when they are out of the crate to play they are in the living room (laminant flooring) or in the kitchen (laminant flooring) so if they were to ever have an accident it wouldn't matter :) I have a hard time keeping our floppy puppy out of the litter box (while Jack and Millie are in there--ticks Jack off in a major way--but the pup just lays right down beside of them (MIllie likes the pup)...anyway--I want my bunns to have a fancy home contraption like I've seen from you guys :)

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Theyre actually really sturdy, if you put them together right. You see that shelf in Smudges old hutch? Thats made of NIC cubes, and it lasted a couple years untill I decided to take it down. I make pens and gates out of NIC cubes all the time... They are life savers!

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
My 2 old pens were super sturdy- I tripped in them weekly stepping over them to get in (I didnt build doors on them originally) and my sisters kitty Illusion would jump on them and get in. I only once ever really kicked it over bc I was drunk and went in to feed Acacia and ruined her pen :p
My closet cage now for Acacia is wicked sturdy bc I reenforced it with triple cable ties. You can do practically anything with NIC cubes with a bit of patience and imagination. I found when I had someone helping me it was soooo much easier but you could easily do it yourself. Google "NIC cages for Rabbits" and you'll get hundreds of ideas! :D
As for the carpet problem, are bunnies fixed? They're a lot easier to litter train when their fixed, Acacia NEVER has an accident. During outside playtime just provide an extra litter box, works wonders! IF you are still concerned then line what area bunny is on with either scrap linoleum, a plastic boot mat (of the type in doctors offices) or an old rug. In my old house Acacia was afraid of the deck unless she had a rug to walk on. They're cheap and you can get them in whatever size you need!

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
LOL @ Ruining the pen drunk! I bet poor Acacia wasnt pleased! :lol:

If Im remembering right, Harmingrits' male is fixed but her female isnt yet, so thats probably why they cant go on the carpeting LOL. Once they are both fixed, they should be good enough with their litter box to go on any kind of flooring.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all your replies! OK, I'm making an indoor cage from chicken wire and wood... with some help from my Dad. It's just for the winter, so even though it won't be pretty, it will do! Also I have chosen a rabbit hutch from here. Well, it's seems to be coming from Amazon really. I don't think I'll get that till it starts getting warmer though.

Don't worry about my Rabbit, she's not fat - just big! Lops can get pretty big though eh. She gets plenty of exercise, she has the whole garden to herself! We have a harness for the occassional walk down the road too, although I don't think she is much of fan of the walks!

Even still, I think a few Christmas treats are on the cards! ;)

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Thats great that youre going with the indoor cage! Its sooo muc heasier to keep them indoors in the winter, LOL.

Glad to know that she isnt fat. It sounds like she has a pretty good life there!

And the hutches from that site look pretty nice! :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
you're right...Jack is fixed and Millie isn't yet (she will be soon enough though)---I don't want to chance them having an accident on the carpet (they haven't had any accidents outside of their litter box yet :) BUT if they did it would really drive my male dog insane (everyone is neutered/spayed but Millie and the new pup (they will be going together)--we have 4 dogs and two bunn's---even if I scrubbed and scrubbed that lab nose would still be able to pick up the urine scent (and his accidents are no little matter at all lol)---I will get the bunn's their own carpets though :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts