Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help one of my rabbit leg is broken today... i dont know how it happened.. the broken part is on the feet ... the left one... she still jumping everywhere and i read on the net that i should keep her in small cage... done that... i put her in a medium sized hamster cage where the size is almost as her so she cant move anywhere... my question is...

1) Any other else i should do to keep her safe and avoid more injuries...? i have provided food/hays/water in a place where it is convenient for her...

2) The vets here are closed until coming Monday, will she be safe by then? can she be cured? ive read that i should provide her milk or calcium but i dont know which to be use.. shes 2-3 months old btw.. please help me tell anything i should know..

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
1.) Keep her quiet and still and make sure that she's eating.

2.) She can be cured (sometimes by bed rest, sometimes by casting, sometimes by amputation, just depending on where the break is and how bad it is). Do not give her milk or calcium. Milk will likely put her into stasis, and the calcium isn't going to do any good over a 2 day period.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so should i just leave her there? can u explain by casting and amputation? well.. the break.. i dont know how to explain the severeness but the broken part is the feet... the feet is hanging and inside i can feel the bone unjoint... as for eating.. shes eating well as i place the food close to her and for today she looks just fine... i put her in a small cage above a small litter box so she doesnt stand on her pee... and the only thing she can move is turning around back and front.. no jumping.. is that okay?

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
I would be afraid of stress/shock if I left her in a cage where she could not move at all. Have you ever applied a splint? I would keep it quiet and still until the vets open, do they have emergency?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just applied a splint to her..well shes sitting just like she used to and drink and eat..hopefully she'll be fine..i dont know if my splint way correct but i just align the bone and put two small stick of cardboard on both sides and tied it with silk..as for now i see that she poops okay..will always be checking her and give her pat so she'll stay calm..am i doing the right thing?please give more tips to take care of her..will my pat reduce her stress?previously when she sits on my laps..i will pat her and that makes her stay longer on my lap..i think she like it..

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
I would take the silk tie off. You want blood to flow through without restraint. Get some medical wrap (like what the doctors apply to humans) and gently but securely wrap the splint in. Is it swollen?
It depends on the bunny. My bunny Acacia was more comfortable on her own when she was healing from her surgeries. Whereas my other bunny Akina liked to have me close by for comfort. I wouldn't force the bunny into your lap. If her leg is swollen and in tremendous pain you do not want to keep lifting her and increasing her discomfort. Let her sit on the floor where her foot is level and gently stroke her head if that's what she likes.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Then you can only make her comfortable until the vet gets in. We cannot offer medical advice over the internet without knowing the background and lifestyle of the bunny.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Poor thing. :(

My sister's old bun broke his front leg twice. The only thing I can suggest is to put a popsicle stick along the break to keep it straight, and wrap in it some medical tape/wrappings. Oreo chewed his cast off the first time he broke his leg, but it still heeled fine. The second time he broke it my stupid sister didn't bother taking him to the vet, and it healed deformed. :(

·
laugh often
1,690 Posts
im so sorry your bunny is hurt.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well hopefully all went well..she still doing fine today..and stays at the same place calmly.. I cut 2 cardboard and put it on either side and wrapped it with bandage and put her back gently inside..will check and clean her bottom if theres any poop/pees to avoid germs..

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
its a she... :)

Well.. as expected... the spine didnt last long... she manage to pee and poop as normal tho... but its hard for her to reach the bottom cause she is in a small cage.. thus.. the night stools are not eaten... as what i found..

Today, i have visited 3 most recognized vets in our country and guess what is the result..

1) The first vet cannot do anything and they inject painkiller and antibiotics and vitamins for her... they suggest to get rid of the leg and let her stand in 3.. :(

2) The second vet only checks her and also cannot do anything.. they just said that the broken is not swollen...but the doctor is very friendly...

3) And last place, also cannot do anything.. she just inject a serum said to reduce/remove inflame... i dont know what she is talking about.. i told her that we already gave our rabbits painkiller but she said it is different... (or maybe they just want to get money)... and she said that the leg can be cured by rest and avoid wet and clean most of the time to avoid bacteria (this is what i always do)..the leg will not gonna back to normal but at least she said that its still can be used for walking but it takes time... and yea finally.. she asked me to gave our rabbit calcium twice a day... she showed a bottle of calcium for small pets.. id say that i will think of it because as i told that calcium arent suppose to be fed orally right? atleast its what i get from the people...

So i really dont know what i should do next, i told u that its hard to impossible to find professionals in rabbits at our place :(... well she eats/acts/drinks well as usual... so all i can do is to let her rest just like this -> http://www.threelittleladiesrabbitry.com/brokenleg.php

oh and one more thing.. about the calcium? should i gave her? they said its good for the bone? i dont want to worse her condition if that doesnt help cause she is better now.. this is the calcium -> http://www.petalia.com.au/Templates...S_Data=General&PC_Data=Vitamins & Supplements

please give me more advice.. as vets are not an options here.. i dont her leg to be cut either cause im afraid of the result as they are not that pros... :S

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Need help here??bring her ro another vet today and thats the last vet i could find and all they did just gave her antibiotics and some emdicine theough injection.. :S

I really dont knw what antibiotics for and how it can help in this situation?if its really helping how many times should i gave my rabbit antibiotics? Is it once a month or what?any idea? Oh and i still need answers for my previous post..Thank You!

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
What antibiotic is it? You usually give it once a day for a week or two, depending on what the vet tells you.

I would just keep her in a small (not freakishly small, but you don't want her to be able to run around or binky) enclosure until if heals more. If you can't keep a splint on it it probably won't heal straight, but it should still be usable. Your vets don't sound very helpful, but at least she got pain meds.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank You Jess... Well the antibiotics the doctor only shot once... that is when we get there yesterday.. the vet did not even mention to bring the rabbit again in another time.. so i dont know since they were unreliable i dont think i would love to visit there again...

Only the first vet gave the pain killer and vitamins ... is it okay to give her that once a month? or whatever ure suggesting?

and about the splint.. its a hind leg... she is in s small cage, she cant jump but only turn around and around.. how do u keep the splint in place? do u have pics? i really want to do it but its hard... and it keeps coming off... i plan to get a bandage for her... but is it ok? she got a thick fur.. im afraid if keep covered.. it will get wet due to sweat and cause more trouble.. please help me onthis :)

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Oh, well the shots are different than the oral antibiotics. IDK about the pain meds you got though. Usually they are on it daily for a couple days, until their pain becomes managable enough for them to be off of it. Do you know what kind it is? Metacam (sp?) is a popular pain med for buns in the US.

I don't have pics, cause Oreo broke his leg so long ago. You can buy medical tape for human injuries though that will work well. I'm pretty sure that the vet had told us we could use the thick blue masking tape too, but I'm not 100% sure on that. As long as you change it every day, it shouldn't get gross.

And I would move her to a cage that is big enough to fit a litter box in so she isn't laying in her own filth, and so she can stretch out and lay down. Keeping her in a teeny tiny space isn't good for her either.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
What is the drug listed on the bottle of vitamins the vet gave you? Or what is printed on the invoice from the vet? Sometimes, unsavy vets can prescribe cat medicine to bunnies thinking its safe for bunnies. It happened to my friend. Her bunny stayed sick and almost died. She brought it to another vet and now he's okay. 2 out of 3 bunny savy vets are suddenly no longer seeing bunnies! Mine included :?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh, well the shots are different than the oral antibiotics. IDK about the pain meds you got though. Usually they are on it daily for a couple days, until their pain becomes managable enough for them to be off of it. Do you know what kind it is? Metacam (sp?) is a popular pain med for buns in the US.

I don't have pics, cause Oreo broke his leg so long ago. You can buy medical tape for human injuries though that will work well. I'm pretty sure that the vet had told us we could use the thick blue masking tape too, but I'm not 100% sure on that. As long as you change it every day, it shouldn't get gross.

And I would move her to a cage that is big enough to fit a litter box in so she isn't laying in her own filth, and so she can stretch out and lay down. Keeping her in a teeny tiny space isn't good for her either.
Well, she was put in a cage that is as large as her... the size of the litter box is the size of the cage and she is on the litter box all the time so that she dont stand on the pee... im really scared to put her in a big cage to avoid her hopping around... oh about the pain med.. it was a shot also.. the vets didnt provide any meds for my bunnies except asking me to buy the bottle of calcium..

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What is the drug listed on the bottle of vitamins the vet gave you? Or what is printed on the invoice from the vet? Sometimes, unsavy vets can prescribe cat medicine to bunnies thinking its safe for bunnies. It happened to my friend. Her bunny stayed sick and almost died. She brought it to another vet and now he's okay. 2 out of 3 bunny savy vets are suddenly no longer seeing bunnies! Mine included :?

here is the link that i could find -> http://www.vetshopaustralia.com.au/Troy-Calcium-Syrup-250-ml-P339C130.aspx

its the exact same thing the vets told me to feed the bunny but i havent since im still waiting for u guys suggestions whether to feed her this or not...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts