Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 4 dwarf rabbits living in different cages. One of them however seems to be ill. He's about 8-9 years old now, and started acting differently in the past three weeks.
His face seems to be wet all the time, as well as his feet, and he never lies sideways to sleep anymore. He's pooing all over the cage, whereas before he used to poo in one corner only.
The only time when he acts normal is when I'm feeding him.
I've also noticed that his eye vision is not as good as it used to be, and that it takes him a while to notice where the food is at times.

Do you think it's because he's getting older? All the other rabbits seem to be doing fine, despite being situated in the very near vicinity

· Registered
2,020 Posts
No offense but I'd get a second opinion that just doesn't sound right I'm not sure why but it doesn't to me anyways

· Premium Member
4,281 Posts
I agree. Was the vet experienced with rabbits?

A wet face and feet are not normal symptoms of old age. They are common symptoms of teeth problems, however. Eye issues can also be caused by teeth problems because of the location of rabbit's tooth roots. To check the back molars the vet would have had to take an xray or used anesthesia to look in the rabbit's mouth. Because of the way their mouths are you can't just look at their back teeth easily the way you can with some animals.

I'd get a second opinion with a rabbit experienced vet. I think something more is going on other than the rabbit just being old. I don't see how vitamins would help either.

· Betta Bomb
5,417 Posts
oh dear. Tooth problems are the worst. My Akina developed Retrobulbar disease as a result of a tooth out of place ever slightly. Google image that and other tooth problems in rabbits and I advise anothr vet. www.rabbit.org has a link on finding a proper rabbit vet. Many are unfortunately treating rabbits like cats.

· Resident Aquarium Nerd
10,108 Posts
Yeah, you need a rabbit-experienced vet. I have an 11 year old rabbit and he has no symptoms like that. It's not just old age.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.