Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rabbit produces soft stools..its not diarhea but its black,different shapes and smelly..why is that and how to solve it??other than tht my rabbit is still doing fine..eat hay,drink n play..she is 2-3mnths old.. :)

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Rabbits re-digest their food and store the nutrients in a cecal pouch which they eat directly from their anus'. The cecals look like a cluster of wet grapes generally and if stepped on or smeared can have a strong odor. This is not to suggest your bunny is producing cecals and is perfectly normal, bunnies will hide sickness for as long as they can. Here are a few links regarding cecals and if you are experiencing something else, PLEASE see a vet.

http://www.sandiegorabbits.org/diet/cecals.html
http://www.bunspace.com/forum/thread?tid=9893&posts_tgp_no=last
http://www.fuzzy-rabbit.com/behaviourfaq.htm

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
To add...cecals (or cecotropes) are normal but it's not normal to find them laying around the cage. Normally a rabbit will consume 100% of the cecals and you won't find any evidence of them at all.

Finding the odd one or two isn't an emergency, but if it's happening often then it's important to figure out the cause. Usually it's caused by diet. What do you feed other than the hay you mentioned?

Another cause is that sometimes overweight or disabled rabbits can't reach their butts very well to consume the fresh cecals.

There are other, more serious causes, but those two are by far the most common. If your rabbit is not overweight or disabled in any way, I'd suggest reevaluating her diet.

If it's not cecals your seeing but just soft stools or something else, I'd take her in to a vet.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh okay.... i change their pellets because they dont want to eat the previous pellets.. i think thats why.. but only 1 rabbit have this rob and this morning there is no soft stools... it sometimes there and sometimes not :S

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
If it is happening more frequently than not it could be the sign of something worse. Like Dragon said it is uncommon to see them laying around in a healthy bunny. I seen my first cecal from Acacia this morning actually- I cannot remember the last I did in 4 years.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
What pellets where you using before and what did you switch too? How much pellets per day are you feeding? How did you make the switch - did you do it gradually?

If the problem started when you switched the pellets I would assume that's probably the cause.

Does she seem to be leaving less of them around now? It may stop once she gets used to the new food. If it continues and it where my rabbit, I'd consider switching back to the old food again even if she doesn't like it as much. Pellets aren't the most important part of a rabbits diet, hay is, so she'll be fine even if she doesn't eat a ton of pellets.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi... as attached are the picture of the soft stools.. weirdly.. it sometimes occur and sometimes dont.. but mostly occured at night... she eats hay everyday and look very healthy...

i changed her food gradually before switching to the new one... currently im already change them back as what it is before..

but this problem still persists.. nothing seems to be wrong with her... only the stools is big.. and her female area smelly... :S

what should i do.. there are no rabbit pro vet here.. if i bring her to the vet.. the only thing they do is giver her antibiotics...

Attachments

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
Those are cecal pellets. They are normal pellets. They occur at night. They are sometimes called night droppings. Giving her antibiotics won't make them go away.

You need to find the underlying cause of why she's not eating them like she should.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay thank u currently i rake their pellets away from the cage and leave only a lot of hays..hope she'll be fine..

If theres anythng i should do please tell :)

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Bunnies shouldn't be bathed often but if her area is "smelly" she might need a bath. Make the water mildly warm and sit her in your lap on a towel you dont mind getting wet and dirty. Take off your pants or wear shorts and sit in the tub with her on your lap. Pour the water over her bum while wiping it with the towel, do not use human grade shampoos or even dog/cat shampoos bc bunnies skin can get sore and irritated. The only thing I ever used to wash my bunny while she was sick was Hibitane soap from the vet. Bunnies can develop cold spells while wet so make sure she stays warm until she is completely dry.

What is the nutritional content of the pellets and hay she eats? Following is the essential nutritional value for a rabbit's pellet intake. Make sure the pellets are made with timothy hay- alfalfa hay carries too much calcium for a normal adult bunny. Check the pellets you give and see what the value is :
http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/products/type/detail?object=1536

And for hay nutritional value, it needs to consist of timothy and/or meadow orchard greens. Fibre being the most important thing here, consider the highest grade of fibre but be sure she is drinking clean fresh drinking water.
http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/products/type/detail?object=1530

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
all i know is its fiber is min 20% and crude protein 17%

as for the hay... we dont have many choices here.. so i chose the brand made by vitakraft vita verde .. we dont have timothy or alfalfa here.. so sad...

:( anyway thasnks for ur tips :)

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
'normal hay' does not help. All hay has a base grass type. It could be timothy, weed, botanical, meadow, alfalfa. . The ingredient list should mention what type of grass it is.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i really dont know.. it says at the back the ingredients only put Hay, Peppermint (3%) ... this is the same thing -> http://www.bunnybazaar.com/more/on/details/HAYD if u can help figuring out what type of hay it is that would help me lot :)

this is another one from other brand PUIK -> http://translate.google.com/transla...gEwAA&prev=/search?q=puik+hay&hl=en&prmd=ivns
(this one is a lil bit expensive)

and this is the last one -> http://www.versele-laga.com/nutri/n...340&ran=7202&pro=22760#Indicatieve waarborgen

ive tried the two types above... both of them smells good.. havent tried the last link and if u can suggest which is the best amongst these three... please reply... :)

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Judging very off handedly at the links I was able to find good reviews for the Vitakraft hay. It seems that it is more of a meadow hay which stalks thicker than timothy. Maybe you could try supplementing your bunny's diet with some dried, no sugar added papaya to aid digestion in the absence of timothy. But it appears that if you are buying these products online, maybe search for timothy specifically?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
no.. im not buying them online.. i just want to show you the info.. i never bought it online.. its just that those three are the only available ones in my place..my bunny still around 3 months old.. so i cannot let them eat veggies and fruits yet..:)

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
If it has herbs and dandilion mixed in, it sounds like some kind of botanical hay, which is usually made with Timothy I do believe. If your buns are only 3 months old, Alfalfa is actually great for them right now. You don't need to switch to a grass hay until they are about 1 year old. So at this point, it doen't really matter what kind of hay it is. But you might want to try to find a grass hay for in the future. ;)

And if you are still unsure of what your hay is once they are adults, it's a good idea to do bloodwork on them every year to make sure their calcium levels are OK. Bladder sludge would also be a sign of too much calcium, so there are just a few things you need to watch out for. That is really weird that those packages don't say what kind of hay they are.

BTW... What does they hay smell like? To me at least, Timothy and grass hays smell like tea. I LOVE the smell of those. Alfalfa has thicker, harder pieces of hay that are a little twig-like, and they have flowery leafy stuff on them. It smells different too... Kinda like sour dandilions or something LOL. It's hard to explain. The bale I bought for Smudge has a little alfalfa mixed in it, and it is really easy to tell the deference between the 2, IMO.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
LoL.... Thanks for the explanations... yes... the smell is like a tea.. i love it too... it calms me and feel like wanna eat it too... LoL!!but its true.. the smell is very calming..and theres no alfalfa here too :(.. so sad!!

What is Bladder sludge? one of my rabbit have a redness urine.. the previous breeder gave her too much calcium or protein.. now im trying to make it back to normal by only giving her normal pellets, hay, and fresh water.. its a week now but its still red.. it gives me headache when it touches her fur as she is ******.. so have to clean it so much.. i litter trained her.. but u know young buns.. sometimes they pee in litter box and sometimes dont..

well the urine is colored yellow at first... but when you wipe it.. it turns dark orange...i use vinegar on it and it neutralize the dark orange back to yellowish.. looks magic to me..:S

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Dark orange urine usually is caused by the food. Carrots causes it. That's all I know really. Sometimes breeders, showers, or fur producers of angora's will feed them a bad diet to make their fur silkier for production yielding a higher dollar. You mentioned getting the rabbit from a 'breeder'? I would simply watch the urine closely and maybe set food and feeding patterns up. Too much calcium in the diet will cause what is called sludge. It is normal to see whitish gunky stuff in the urine every now and then, that is the bladder cleaning out excess calcium. Too much and too frequently may cause bladder stones though so, again, be careful. Do you know the calcium and protein content in the pellets and is it plain pellets? Some brands throw in colorful seeds etc. . .

1 - 20 of 77 Posts