Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
ive googled a lot.. some says that he maybe has problems of mites but i know mites are like dut on the fur but hes not... ive read also about molting and he looks exactly like this but only at the back... its like even u slightly pull the fur will come off... even now but i stop pulling it afraid he gets overbald...

but ive read that its good to help him to avoid him eating his own fur and cause blockage..

any help? it looks like this -> http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...wrQfOuOj4Dg&page=1&ndsp=26&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0 but only at the back..

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
As I am to understand, angora's can be plucked all the time. If you think its mites you need to see a vet (to make sure) and get treatment for it. It won't go away on its own :(

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Wait the rabbit is actually bald? That picture you showed was a bald rabbit, which isn't normal. If that's similar to what you're rabbit looks like I'd take him in to the vet.

If he's not actually bald but just has a lot of loose hair, he may just be molting. Molting is a normal process that takes place usually when the weather changes. Two of my rabbits are molting right now - I brush them everyday until they are done shedding all the old hair because I don't want them to swallow all their loose fur.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
This is what he looks like.. i really dont know what happen... i just groom him like i usually do and the hair keep pulling off every single brush until he becomes like this... i can still pluck the fur easily tho (only the lower area) but i plan to stop afraid that he became more bald.. but im afraid about the blockage thing too..

And i dont see any sign of mites.. as i recall it should like like dander on the fur right? but this is nothing.. and he still acts normally :S

Attachments

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
Ok yeah that is way too much hairloss. He needs to see a vet. That's extremely unusual. Mites are microscopic. You can usually tell your animal has them when they're itching and losing hair. See a vet.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
okay will take him to a vet tomorrow.. will the hair grow back?im so worried... and no this rabbit i just got from my cousin.. i have 5 rabbits altogether including this ..

1) Casper - Male Mixed Lionhead
2) Crystal - Female Local Mixed
3) Oreo - Female English Angora
4) Shadow - Male English Angora (This one!!)
5) Stardust - Female Mixed Angora (Broken Leg)

Thanks for the help :) is this sign of mites? or others?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
im using the middle one to groom Shadow as it is better to pull hairs than bristle.. is it my fault? but ive used this on oreo and stardust it works well...:confused:

EDIT: I tried now, the fur easily pulled off... even with a slight pull it will off.. :(.. im afraid that the rabbit will groom himself and eat the fur and cause blockage, will bring him to vet tomorrow..

Attachments

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Wow, that's really strange. Sometimes they can get itty bitty bald patches when they molt, but nothing like that!!
And don't worry, you didn't cause this. If the fur was being yanked out by over-brushing, there would be blood. There is something else that is causing this.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Ive asked another forumer and they said that maybe the rabbit has less nutrients..is there anything i can give to improve it?

Im really afraid that my way of grooming cause this :(

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
Can they give any specific nutrient that theyt hink would cause that much hair to fall out? Because honestly I think if it were nutritional the rabbit would likely be in stasis and dying before losing that much hair.

You've been told multiple times that simple overgrooming won't make a rabbit lose all of their hair in that huge kind of area.

It's frustrating to try and help because you don't have any reliable vet care and don't have a lot of experience with rabbits so the notes we're getting are very disjointed and difficult to understand. I hope this at least makes you rethink your breeding scheme :(

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I never had long haired rabbit before and all these things happened to me all at once.. That is why im concerned if my way of treating/grooming them is right or wrong so i wont make mistakes all over again..yes ive been told about overgrooming but this is the first time i groomed until he gets bald that is why i keep asking such questions..sorry if its bother u..and about nutrients they dont provide specific they just guessing and will take him to vet later for check-ups

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
It's not a personal bother but it is very frustrating to watch two of your rabbits having medical ailments you can't treat while you also don't have the local means to get appropriate medical care for them (especially since one has a shattered foot which is a painful and acute condition).

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I know..its very frustrating that it occurs at the same time..but if theres anyway i could do to them to make them healthy i would do it..i kept they clean..cage disinfected everyweek..i groomed them everytime..most of the time i spent taking care an play with them..these things are out of my control

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
well i have visited 2 vets for him.. the doctor said that the fur fall off because of 2 reasons, due to environmental change and smell, and because of predators around him..

well he said that the bunny is from Indonesia and its just arrived here yesterday, the temperature and environemtn there is different than here.. the doctor check there are no symptoms of mites and said the fur will grow back normally.. i hope they are right..:S

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
How did the vet check for mites and/or fungal infections? Did they do a skin scraping and look under a microscope or anything like that? Did they do a blood test?

What tests did your vet do?

When you groom the bunny, how much force are you using with the brush? You should always brush gently and don't pull too hard on the fur. Form experience I know that rabbit fur actually pulls out and usually you won't see signs of it being pulled out like blood or skin injuries etc. I've seen bunnies fight and pull out huge chunks of each others fur and all that's left behind is usually a big bald spot where the fur was pulled out. Is it possible you are grooming her too roughly and accidentally pulling too much hair out?

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Really? Yikes, didn't know that. I always thought there would have to be blood if the fur was yanked out. :rolleyes: Oops.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
I agree with Jenni, it does sort of suck for us to help when such vague details are given. I mean, everyone here wants to help to the best of our abilities but the responses are vague and there is too much in between of us asking specific questions about specific nutrients and the like. Also, I thought you only had 2 rabbits? With such unreliable bunny care out there I wonder how we can help your bunnies get better if there is no local help?
How much are you putting into the vets? I know I can't afford 2 and 3 vets in a day! And anything prescribed by vets should be clearly labelled on invoices and reciepts, which is why we ask for the information. We DO want to help you. But it seems with one thing after another happening to them there needs to be more reliable local help.
Best of luck :)

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Another question, how was the rabbit shipped from Indonesia? What was the confinements? How long was the trip? Who responsible for caring for it before, during and after? What other changes occured to it? {food, water, etc. .}

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Really? Yikes, didn't know that. I always thought there would have to be blood if the fur was yanked out. Oops
Yeah...there's not necessarily blood. I feel really bad about it, but I actually recently accidentally ripped a chunk of Ziggy's fur out and it didn't bleed at all - he just got a bald spot in that area. He's on injectable antibiotics and I was trying to tent his skin to give him his shot, but I accidentally grapped a chunk of fur and he pulled away at the same time, and the fur I was holding onto ripped out :(

I've seen rabbits fighting before too and they often pull chunks of each others fur out and a lot of the time there is no blood, just bald spots where the fur is pulled out.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts