Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.. if i planned to breed my rabbits in future (obviously not at the moment since they are still bunnies)..

my rabbits are white body, black ears with few blacks spot on her face.. and got moustache.. its an english angora.. so if i mate her with an all-white rabbit...

is it possible that i got the kits with only black ear and all white? no moustache?? please reply and rabbits are limited in our country especially English Angora which are rare here.. so no comment about Thousands rabbits are homeless cause i knew that already.. Thanks :wavey:

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
I will tell you what you do not want to hear. . . There are enough rabbits in the world that are unwanted. Even my local rescue is bogged down with unwanted rabbits that have been RETURNED from adoptive homes bc people just do not realize the responsibility entailed in owning one. I highly suggest you do some research before sticking your adorable bunnies together.
1. there is no way to tell what 'colors' you will get because any idiot breeder should know you cannot breed colors into an animal that you do not have the lineage to.
2. Ask yourself WHY you are breeding rabbits. Are you looking for a dollar or are you absolutely dedicated to the well being and such of the lines you intend to breed. Most breeder of any animal breed because they have a passion for the animal/breed of choice. Not because they "are rare here"- you have just indicated that you intend on selling the babies. Are you aware of the rights of a breeder? What responsibilities you have to the animal and to your customer? Are you prepared to take back any sold rabbit if it does not fit into its new home? *just a note, but 3 generations are required before you can say you are selling a purebred rabbit. And given you did not indicate where you got yours are you even sure they are English Angora's full breed? After 3 generations you should be aware of any genetic disorders and illness. If they are present, what do you intend to do to cut them out of the lines?

I Do not condone breeding. I don't care where in the world you live. Domestic animals far outnumber humans. Until we cut that number down I will argue with you and debate you to the end. No, I know I cannot stop you but I would like you to realise the potential for ill worth here. What kind of a market is open for pet rabbits there? You can't even tell me what kind of hay you feed them, you just had a scare with cecals which you have not solved yet. There is no vet there able to car for rabbits. I spent last summer back and forth the vet with my mini-rex (bought off a "breeder" by my cousin 5 years ago) due to her genetic and re-occuring abscesses and illness. . Tell me how you plan to erradicate that in your stock?
I'm sorry if I come as harsh but it does not seem like you are in the right position to breed rabbits and this infuriates me because I have seen the outcome of such stupid mistakes. Please correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
okay.. first of all.. i am asking politely and does not tolerate any rude comments such as idiot or etc...

if only we could get those rabbits from ur place which are unwanted for free and without any hassles... i tell you.. we will get it... because its not available here..

and as for the rabbits.. the purpose of breeding for me is so that here we could enjoy english angora like other countries because we do not have that kind of rabbit here.. and my families want them too... besides the breedings not gonna happen anytime soon since they are still small.. so i got lots of time to think...

and the reason i dont know about the hay because it doesnt state in the package itself... and we dont have much choices here.. come on our country is not that big and have varieties of hays like yours..

and as for the rabbit.. they are all got certificate but i dont intend to get it cause have to pay high fee which i dont really need at the moment...

and yea.. please dont compare our country to others cause you dont know how it feels to crave for animals which are not found at your country.. like me.. the english angora.. so yea.. if that is all you wanted to say.. id prefer you save it cause ive been told before :) unless you can say it in polite way..

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
This is a terrible idea:

1.) you know so little about genetics that you're unable to even begin to predict what types of rabbits this mating will produce. This means you also have no idea what type of genetic deformities this will produce.
2.) You complain about the 'high price' of the certificates -- you realize it's expensive to provide vet care for two rabbits and a litter of babies, especially if there are complications?
3.) You are very unknowledgeable about rabbits. In an earlier thread you didn't even know what cecals were, which is one of the very first things we teach our adopters before we even send bunnies home with them.

It is irresponsible to breed two rabbits for fun when you know little about the species, nothing about the genetics, and don't want to invest the money neccesary to produce quality animals.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The ONLY reason i joined this forum.. Is To learn many things from you all.. If u guys dont plan to share anytng for me to learn then im off.. Im here to learn not to be said anytng irresponsible..that is the reason why my thread starts with lots of questions..thoush some times i know the answer from google bit i prefer direct interaction using forum..but if u guys had nothing to teach me..i dont think it helps..you may day im unknowledgeable but as i said before.. I can be kniwledgeable learning from wat u said..but by reading your posts above..that doesnt help me to gain knowledge..maybe i should try google..at least nobody criticize my knowledge

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
Maybe you should focus on learning about rabbits and how to care for them properly before you risk their lives trying to breed them?

When you come into a forum and ask one question (which is very basic and shows a back lack of knowledge about that species of animal) and then the very next question is about breeding and genetics (which are extremely complicated and require years of specialized study to understand) it doesn't seem like you want to learn -- it seems like you just want to make more rabbits.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well thank you..i take that as a positive advice..well i told earlier that im not gonna breed them anytime soon..it still waaayyy loong as they still young..its just that the questions just pops in my mind and curiousity makes me askin questions.. So before i forget what im gonna ask..its better to post it while its still fresh..i hope u understand..its better to ask questions now than sorry later..:).. And the answers that provided can be improvise..its better than last minute questions..im preparing myself for future consequences..

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
To be honest, in the time it will take you to learn about how to breed, it will probably be too late to breed these rabbits. (They'll be too old to do so safely). Additionally, to breed safely, you have to select animal based on type and genetics which will complement each other.

You really need to find a local breeder who is doing so responsibly and try to mentor with them so that they can teach you about genetics, the proper way to breed, etc.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
I'm not trying to be rude at all, but I do agree with what the others have already said.

I understand if rabbits are not as common where you are then they may be here, but I think you have a lot to learn before you even attempt to breed. Not to mention I feel that it's very important you find a rabbit vet in case something goes wrong, and you've already stated in another thread that you don't have any rabbit vets near you.

Breeding is expensive. People who do it right don't do it to make money, and they don't. The small amount of money you might make selling babies is usually not nearly enough to cover the costs of feeding and caring for the growing babies and their mother. If you don't want to spend the money to get the certificate, are you going to spend money taking sick babies or mothers to the vet if things go wrong?

In my opinion ALL breeders should only breed animals with papers - background and family history so that you have a better idea of what kind of genes you're passing on to future generations. I'm not completely against breeding, but I would never even think about buying an animal from a breeder who didn't know the family history of the animals he/she was breeding.

I think it's great that you say you want to do more research and learn more...but you can only wait so long before it starts to become dangerous to breed. There is a certain age when the females should produce their first litter to make things safer for the mother. For some animals it's usually okay to let them have babies for the first time when they are older, maybe even a couple of years old. For rabbits that's not the safest option.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Dragonrain, you always know how to talk softly and keep me calm reading ur posts..ill keep that in mind..btw ive posted another posts about hay in another thread..mind if u look at it and comments?Thanks!im off from this thread for now..:)

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
I agree with what everyone has said, but I would just like to add...

Almost everyone on this forum is involved with some kind of rescue, and we have strong opinions on breeding. So just about anyone who asks a breeding question is going to get flamed a little... Don't take it personally. :) We aren't trying to make you feel bad or say that you are a bad owner, because you aren't- The fact that you joined this forum to ask questions shows that you care about your bunnies. We just want you to know the risks and costs associated with breeding, so you know what you are getting into and can make the best decision for your buns .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts