Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
I'm not trying to be rude at all, but I do agree with what the others have already said.

I understand if rabbits are not as common where you are then they may be here, but I think you have a lot to learn before you even attempt to breed. Not to mention I feel that it's very important you find a rabbit vet in case something goes wrong, and you've already stated in another thread that you don't have any rabbit vets near you.

Breeding is expensive. People who do it right don't do it to make money, and they don't. The small amount of money you might make selling babies is usually not nearly enough to cover the costs of feeding and caring for the growing babies and their mother. If you don't want to spend the money to get the certificate, are you going to spend money taking sick babies or mothers to the vet if things go wrong?

In my opinion ALL breeders should only breed animals with papers - background and family history so that you have a better idea of what kind of genes you're passing on to future generations. I'm not completely against breeding, but I would never even think about buying an animal from a breeder who didn't know the family history of the animals he/she was breeding.

I think it's great that you say you want to do more research and learn more...but you can only wait so long before it starts to become dangerous to breed. There is a certain age when the females should produce their first litter to make things safer for the mother. For some animals it's usually okay to let them have babies for the first time when they are older, maybe even a couple of years old. For rabbits that's not the safest option.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts