Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again, yet another thread of me asking advice!! :confused:

Well Jamie has reached that age... His testosterone levels are going crazy!!!

He's taking a real liking to our hands and arms every time we stroke him or go anywhere neer him he tries humping our arms. We walk across the room and he follows, circling our feet making this loud "oinking" noise at us!

We love playing with him but its getting a bit to much with him trying to mount us all the time (sorry to say this but you can even see his big willy sticking out!).

Whats the best thing to do???? If we carry on trying to stroke him and play with him, is it not a bit cruel if he's so frustrated?

Are tactic up untill now has been to stroke/play with him and then leave him alone when he gets the horn and tries humping us. But its got to the point where he starts straight away if we even just sit down with him.

He's 4 1/2 months so cant be neutered for another month yet.

HELP!!!

· Registered
114 Posts
my bunny just hit 4 months and i can already see a change in him! He hasn't started mounting yet luckily, but will be very interesting what people say as to what you should do! But when my bunny does something annoying like nip my clothing i just turn my back on him and keep ignoring him until he understands. maybe that could work?

· Premium Member
4,281 Posts
I don't know really that there is much you can do except for deal with it until you get him neutered.

I know some people will give the rabbits a stuffed toy to get his frustration out on until he's neutered and the hormones die down...if you do that just make sure he doesn't chew on it. Not all of them will be interested in the toy though, so it might not work.

I really don't know what else - maybe someone else will have some ideas. But it's hormonally driven. You could try telling him no and ignoring him when he does it, but since his urge to do that is probably so strong right now I'm not sure whether that would even work or not. Maybe try distracting him with a treat or toy to get him to stop?

Your best bet long term is to get him neutered ASAP and then wait for his hormones to die down.

· Poooooppp!
154 Posts
why are you guys waiting to get them fixed? mine are both about 4months or so (female and male) and they're both fixed, I know they suggest 6 months, but there are vets who will do it as young as 3 months or 2lbs, they've found that rabbits can start having babies very young, both of you need to get your rabbits fixed! try finding a vet that will do it now. If your rabbits has reached sexual maturity (humping, spraying, etc.) they are ready to be fixed!

· Betta Bomb
5,417 Posts
I think it really depends on the vet. It's only new now that they are spaying so young. Neutering as early as possible will eliminate the risk of bad habits forming which will be harder to get rid of. Until you get him neutered I would maybe offer him a warm toy (for realism :p ) and let him do his thing.

· Poooooppp!
154 Posts
I had one vet tell me he wouldn't spay Speckle until she was 6months, and I did some searching and called suggested vets from the rabbit rescue, and all of them said they'd do it at 3months or 2lbs, try searching around, I think vets that work with rescues do it a lot sooner because they know how important it is and they probably have a lot more experience and are comfortable doing it asap. I didn't want to wait and have to deal with behavior I didn't want to see.

· is a little "special"
4,182 Posts
Let me just say... You have not experienced the true horrors of bunny hormonalness until you have lived to tell about the Face Hump.

'nuff said. I wish you luck, my friend.

· is a little "special"
4,182 Posts
It's only funny until it actually happens to you.

· is a little "special"
4,182 Posts
I was laying on the ground with him, because he likes to come over and investigate me if I pretend to be dead LOL, and he decided my hair looked like a female bunny. :p This incident was one of my main motivations for getting him fixed!

· is a little "special"
4,182 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.