Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im really considering on getting a rat but im afraid my old guinea pig cage (40"x20" inches) im afraid they will crawl through the bars theres a pretty wide gap. i have a 10 gallon fish tank. or a 12x12 inch bird cage thing. what is an appropriate size cage for 2 rats?

·
Fashion Animal Freak :)
1,307 Posts
Its not that they would crawl through the bars, its just rats love to PING and bounce around and a long guinea pig cage doesn't really allow that for one rat never mind 2 .. although i WOULD recommend using a long rabbit cage or guinea pig cage for an elder less active rat :) ! But rats love to climb and explorer so PLEASE buy the best cage possible! :) Martins cage is a good website if your from the (US) Im from the (UK) so alot of our cages is different from yours! :) If you need any cage pics please feel free to PM me and i will send you some of mine! :) x
Also, 10 gallon fish tank is BAD!! really bad even for one rat its NOT enough room!

·
Registered
106 Posts
i just got a ferret nation and its the best so easy to clean and add toys on. how ever young rats will e able to slip through the bars so i would cover it in hard ware clothe

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
First thing you should realize is that you cannot get just "a rat" you need to get at least a pair. Keeping a rat solitary is practically considered neglect these days, even though it was a very common practice not that long ago, we know better now. A 10 gallon tank is waaay too small for a rat, and a 12 x 12 bird cage is practically worse.

Use the cage calculator posted above and punch in the dimensions of cages you are thinking about getting to figure out if it can handle 2 rats. Rats need a minimim of 2 cubic feet EACH to be happy.

I think you need to research, research before getting your rats, and remember that rats may be inexpensive to get (I prefer the rescue/shelter/rehome route over petstores any day) but they are not inexpensive to maintain. You need a good cage (think of it as an investment) with height, and levels, they need toys and hammocks for very active minds, etc, etc. You WILL need a vet fund and you need to start it before you get your rat. One sick rat costs me about $100 per vet visit on average but depending on your area could be a little less. Most cat/dog vets refuse to treat rats as they are considered an exotic so you need to find a rat vet in your area first. And always remember Vet doesn't always equal Good Vet. :(

What are you planning on feeding your rat, bedding it on, where will it have its Out time...these are the day to day things you need to consider, then there's research into their common illnesses so you aren't unprepared if it happens. Did you know baby rats can come home from the petstore and sneeze for a week? Sometimes this clears up and other times it becomes a URI (upper respiratory infection) that will need a vet and antibiotics.

Just to give you an idea. :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes i already know you need 2 rats as with almost all other animals, i also knew about rats and vets too. i already go to an exotic vet now for my guinea pigs its only a 10 minute drive. all i was wondering was how big a cage has to be to handle 2 rats possibly 3 i know that guinea pigs need about 4-5 sq feet each but i wasnt sure of rats thank you would this cage be appropiate for 2 rats
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002DJ29A/ref=s9subs_c2_79_at3-rfc_p_si4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1CZD0M74NQ4NFGFM9BZW&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463383371&pf_rd_i=507846

·
Registered
105 Posts
if you are looking for a good size cage that is relatively cheap the petco rat manor is pretty good (hate petco but I wasn’t the one who bought it) it’s not terribly complicated to put together though getting the levels in can take a bit of finagling and its really easy to take apart. Though sometimes it can get a bit bent in the mail but usually they are available in the actual store

My mom ended up getting it for me instead of a martin's cage because it was cheaper but it has enough room for 3-4 rats depending on how you use all the levels. I think it was around 70 something and had free shipping. It has plenty of room for hammocks and everything else I have three in there at the moment

1 - 7 of 7 Posts