Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am planning to order my rats Harlan teklad. I am just wondering which formula to get I know 2014 is better for them but will 2018 do any harm? I can get a 40 lb bag for 25 whereas I can get a 33 lb bag of 2014 for 38. I can get the 2018 sold as native earth which is why the huge difference they are on mazuri now so either would be better.

Also How much will 3 rats eat a month in lbs? I prefer ordering in bulk

2018 doesnt have corn though I was told never to feed my rats corn because they cant digest it.

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
You are thinking of alfalfa...corn is fine, especially ground corn. There are very little nutrients in alfalfa for rats to digest, its just roughage and filler.

Get the 2018, and feed lots of veggies to bring the protein percentage of the complete diet down :)

On average an adult rat will eat a pound of blocks in a month. I hope you have a big freezer since at this point you only have the one rat :p It is good for 6 months from the mill date (on the bag) and 12 months if you freeze it, after that it will slowly lose its nutritive values.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm ordering it at the same time as the I'm ordering the cages so I will have 3 rats when I get it :)

Also how much is a lot of veggies? I can pick huge containers up from work to give :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts