Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so Isabelle my little rat is tiny, she was just old enough to leave her mom so she is pretty small, i am looking for a rat friend for her but the one i find are about 6 months old and alot bigger then her. Should i just keep looking and try to find another rat her size or will she be ok with a friend who is a bit bigger? Also.....do they have to be the same color? I was reading on 2 different sites that rats do not get along if they are different colors, like a black rat and a white rat would not get along....is this true? I need to find this out asap, she has been with me 4 days with out a friend and I feel horrible

thanks

·
Amateur Zookeeper
3,572 Posts
I have never heard about rats of different colors not getting along. I have an agouti (brown) rat and a black rat and they are the best of friends. I have never introduced rats of different litters together or anything, so I am pretty sure different ages are fine, but I'm not sure how you would introduce them. Just be very careful. Introduce them in common ground (like a bathtub) and see how they are behaving. I would say, just try to get one that is the closest age and size that you can. Good Luck!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured thats what it was but i was just wondering. Yes i know about the bath tub thing but i am just worried about a size difference, i will probably just have to keep looking for a rat her age. I just dont want to have her alone much longer

·
Official Loofah Tester
1,365 Posts
Color won't make any difference. It's all about personality. There are plenty of sites that will give you successful introduction tips. Let's see what I can find...

Ah...here's an excellent links page for you, with video, step by step, and all kinds of helpful tips on introducing rats of different ages etc. It also gives you tips on picking out a good rat if you care to look:

http://www.joinrats.com/Introductions

I'd read up on it so you have a working knowledge, and then go look for a companion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts