Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone explain how to make a bithday cake for a rat? my rat gwen will be two in july and i need to get a rat recipe.
also, can rats eat carob? or chocolate? I have visited sites that say chocolate is DEADLY to (rodents) them, but I have also seen sites that deject the idea that it can kill animals, and say that chocolate is perfectly harmles to rats. I need help!

·
Fluffy Gerbilshorts
4,378 Posts
Rats can have chocolate in moderation. Its best if its a darker chocolate because dark chocolates tend to have less sugar in them. I know a lot of people make them carrot cakes and stuff like that. Since this is probably a once in a lifetime thing you probably dont have to worry about sugar that much. If you google foods to NOT feed a rat or something along those lines, youll get a list of things that you shouldnt feed them. I dont think Carob is in there either.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey thanks a bundle!!! have you given your mice chocolate? oh yeah...i forgot they aren't omnivorous. are they?!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
does anyone have a rat food recipe? homeade or borrowed? my rat's B-day is coming up and i need to find a good cake. she likes p-butter....

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Chocolate is not toxic to rats,as it is to dogs and cats.That is a myth.However it is high in sugar and so thats why it should only be fed in small amounts.There were studies done and the most damage it did,was make male rats infertile...but that only happened when they used a TON of chocolate.

I have given my rats and my mice little bits of chocolate on special ocassions and they really enjoy it.Rats have a sweet tooth and enjoy sweets,even tho they should not have them much.

I do not have any recipes unfortunatly.When my rats have their birthdays,I give them their own cupcake or a full cookie to themselves.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks!
that really helps to know that you feed yours chocolate.
thanks again.
happy birthday, my little fuzzlet!
uhh actually she is pretty old.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Anytime!
When is your rattie's birthday anyway? Any special plans?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gwen is turning two on july 12, and i plan on making her a special toy, make her cage clean and pretty, give her the cupcake\muffin\thing, and sing to her. then I will take her with me everywhere, and play with her! She is getting old, so I want her b-day to be special.

·
I'm not weird, I'm gifted
1,530 Posts
Hmm, isen't lactos a problem with milk?

I thought that was a big problem with all animals, if they stop getting it, for a longer period of time?
Just a question ;)

The chocolate it selfe should be safe enough :)

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Birthday cake
A small low fat banana muffin, topped with cream cheese "icing" and sprinkled with sunflower seeds makes a
perfect ratty birthday cake. Ensure no whiskery noses get singed on the candle.

Thats what I make a lot for my guys :D.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
take peanut butter mix in lots of seads peanuts, other nuts whatever and freeze it in a cube and then give it to them they will love it plus its a good treat for the summer

·
laugh often
1,690 Posts
I make mine whole wheat bannana and peanut butter cookies. if you want the recipie let me know.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Make sure you add something with the peanut butter so knowone chokes on it :|. I found this one a rattie site and added it to mine :p, Not trying to b bossy just putting this out there.
Peanut butter - Because it's so sticky it can get caught in a rat throat and cause them to choke, if you mix it with jelly or something liquid it's safe in small amounts.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Yes PB can choke a rat.I spread it very thinly on bread or crackers.When it is in thin layars it is usually fine.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts