Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok some were I read that double rex rats are almost hairless. Then I was told the new rat I am getting is a double rex, but it has a thicker coat then my girls.
So someone has to be wrong
Anyone in the know on rat breeds?
Then there is my 2 girls and oldest boy, I was told that they are single rex rats but they have less fur and wave then my new possible rex rat boy.
So maybe they are wavy rats. But as it is I cannot even work out what technical colour they are so I was hoping if I post photos some one might be able to tell me who is what.

As soon as i can figger out how to add the photos

·
Fluffy Gerbilshorts
4,378 Posts
Rex rats have curly hair that is thick.

Double rex have hair that curly but it falls out so they have patched like hair.

·
Fashion Animal Freak :)
1,307 Posts
Oh my god my rattie piglet has a twin your otto is the exact same as him !!

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Sorry I don't see a double rex there, just regular rex and a couple of poor rexes (velveteen).

Double rex ratties can range from a light fuzz on their body to a naked look with fuzzies on their face, and feet, etc.

Rex. Curly whiskers, thicker curly usually rougher coat, which seems to thin into patches starting on the back, shoulders/butt early. A couple started thinning at a year in my groups

Velveteen or poor rex, often crimpy or wavy, usually soft, keep their coat until the end unlike a good rex...usually has straight whiskers

Double rex, thin coat (this was a friend's rat)

Double rex, nakie I call them, Lisbet

True hairless (not common in pet circles)...I am pretty sure genetically Bella was a double rex, but a lot of people said she looked phenotypically (looked physically like) like a proper hairless, short short whiskers, almost no hair anywhere

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
from what u said i recon the girls are rex and the boys are waive. the apparently doubble rex i am getting is not hear yet so i could not put pictures of her up yet

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
I had a true hairless i believe, she was hairless except for peach fuzz and thicker peach fuzz on her face even when she was a baby and had the cutest curly wiskers

Hairless are cool but have a lot of issues with scrapes which i always felt bad, she cut her tummy somehow and i felt awful and had to keep her on paper towels for a few days

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
from what u said i recon the girls are rex and the boys are waive. the apparently doubble rex i am getting is not hear yet so i could not put pictures of her up yet

Not at all, rexes, double rexes can be either sex. Those are just pics of rats I had, except pickles. There is also patchwork rex, who grow and lose their fur in strange patterns :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol, no i meant out of my rats that the girls were rex, they are starting to thin out mostly on the sholders. and my boys, who have thicker cotes and wiskers that are not as curlly are Velveteen.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Double rex are basically hairless. It seems the boys (in my experience at least) tend towards more complete hairlessness and the girls lean more towards interesting patches that migrate. Now that may just be a genetic thing and just the boys we have had have all been totally hairless but our girl is one of those awesome migrating patches hairless. Rexes are curly to wavy haired and at certain points in their development will lose some hair and have bald spots but it grows back quickly and looks a little different all the time. Again maybe a genetic thing. That is what ours seem to go through at least when they are young.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts