Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My male hairless rat has just passed a small white discharge or mucus bowel movement. I've had a quick look on the site and have seen a bit of info about megacolon?

he has never passed stool like this before as far as i am aware, he is 9/10 months old now and i thought that megacolon would develop from a young age.

he has had diarrhea before but i assumed it was because of me giving him treats in too high a quantity such as peas or yoghurt. i have since reduced the amount of food he gets and have not experienced any diarrhea recently.

is this white mucus/discharge a definite sign of megacolon, what other causes could there be. should i be worried and rushing to the vet?

thank you guys
liz

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
What kinds of food does he get on a consistent basis in his diet? I don't have any experience with odd bowel movements, but I would recommend taking him to the vet just to be sure, especially if he is showing symptoms of pain or discomfort.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
his main food is rat lab blocks from pets at home, he also regularly gets fed peas, breads, tomatoes, with other rat treats in between. this has been consistent since i owned him and i haven't changed anything of late

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much if its just one bowel movement or even a couple...as long as things return to normal. As Breyers said, watch for bloating, signs of discomfort, and diarrhea.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts