Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
im new. I joined the site because i have two male fancy rats one called Reggie and one called Ronnie. They are roughly a year and a half old to two years. Today i noticed when i went to clean them out that Ronnie had a lump that is bleeding terribly, its not a scab but not dripping blood. I dont know what this is :( im so scared that ill lose the little thing, please if anyone has experienced this please let me know. if anyone knows how i can make it better then id be so greatful. im worried sick. its on his stomach.

thankyou so much, kayleigh.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Do you have pictures?
It could be an abcess.Is the lump hard or soft??
Could you call your vet? It could be an abcess and he scratched it open or something.

Off topic - I have a rat named Ronnie too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is an abscess less fatal :(? we are getting an appointment today because yesterday when i made the thread it was night time. what do vets do to an abscess, sorry to ask alot of questions im just so worried about my poor baby.
kindest regards Kayleigh x x x

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Abscesses are usually not fatal.
The vet will probably drain it and give you antibiotics.
Good luck.

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
Really, if treated in a timely fashion, most lumps are not fatal, even if they are tumors. Rats are extremely prone to developing lumps of all types, and a knowledgeable rat vet can take them off and treat them for you. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The vet said that this is most likely looking like a tumour :(. It will cost £400 to get it cut off. my mum knows a foundation that helps ill animals and does operations for a donation in return. but should i be putting him through this stress? he is about a year and a half old. I dont know if i want him hurting and in pain while he recovers. kindest regards Kayleigh x x

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
Done correctly, he really won't be in much pain, and he'll have pain medication which will allow him not to hurt. Whether or not to put him through it is a decision you have to make. I removed five tumors from one of my rats, and I was always happy that I did to have that extra time with her.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
did it stress your rat alot? i mean obviously having something cut off of her body made her abit scared, but through the recovery stage was she stressed or unhappy.
thanks kaz x x

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
Not really. Going to the vet before surgery she was pretty excited because she likes travelling in the carrier. Coming home she was groggy, but we stayed on top of her pain medications and she never seemed to be in any pain. She was excited for medicine time because she got whatever kind of baby food she wanted with her meds in it. :)

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
This thread is from 2009...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Oooopps, sorry. This is the first time I joined a forum and never thought I needed to take note of the thread date. Thanks for letting me know. Will surely look at the date so as not to post on old threads.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Oooopps, sorry. This is the first time I joined a forum and never thought I needed to take note of the thread date. Thanks for letting me know. Will surely look at the date so as not to post on old threads.
It is okay,don't worry about it.
Some older threads can be revived,but this one the original poster don't come here anymore. Welcome to the forum by the way,hope you enjoy it here.
:)

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Again...thread is from 2009 and the original poster doesn't even come here anymore.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts