Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to gorge/fast my dogs (not by choice...they usually fasted themselves) and allow them to eat a little more than 3% of their body weight (including the small dogs.) In turn, they would usually not eat the next day or two simply because they didn't want to. I always thought that it was just my funny dogs (all four of them) that would fast themselves.

So I was reading more on it. Spyro is totally fine with it and I'm sure Luna (which is already a similar size) would be ok too. It is more of Loki that I am worried about (although he has fasted himself before as well.) I Googled around and found this on another forum site.

This article says that dogs will eat up to 30% less food than a dog fed any other way. I can believe it seeing as right now my three small dogs are eating as much as my four dogs did back then (two mediums and two smalls.)

Note: The link goes to a PDF
Why Your Dog Needs To Fill Stomach On Regular Basis

What do you guys think?

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I don't think it's bad for them but I've never felt it necessary, either. The fasting can also be dangerous for some smaller breeds like Chihuahuas (due to their metabolism).

Some of our dogs could probably do it but it would never work for Sophie. She seems prone to hypoglycemia and does best when fed small meals twice a day. All of our dogs are fairly small, around 20 lbs. The other dogs get fed once a day, Sophie is the exception.

I know people who do it and their dogs do great but it's something that should be worked up to and never done with newly switched dogs. A dog new to raw could easily end up with diarrhea on gorge day.

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fasting can also be dangerous for some smaller breeds like Chihuahuas (due to their metabolism).
Thats why I'm afraid for Loki...he is only an 8lb dog. I think I'm going to start giving them something lite like...yogurt or something. Loki usually fasts himself...even if we try to give him something like yogurt its a no go. I'd be totally fine with that if tiny dogs weren't prone to hypoglycemia. Consulted the local holistic vet and she says if it is his choice, then he is fine. Of course my regular vet doesn't speak much about it (he is a science diet/Eukanuba kind of guy) and suggests feeding him things like yogurt or gives me the number to the holistic vet lol. I'm glad he admits that he doesn't know at least. This is why I love him so much.

Luna also fasts herself and she is only 6 months old....I try to give her some kibbs on days she fasts herself and she will take a few and thats it. I try to keep Loki and Luna from being too bouncy on these days. Spyro is an old man and totally used to it.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
While fasting isn't harmful for most dogs it's hardy necessary so why not make an exception for Loki? 8 lbs is pretty small. I don't know of anyone who fasts such a small dog. The people I know who do it have breeds like Great Danes, GSDs, Greyhounds, etc. Or at least medium breeds.

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know I feel so out of the hole because my dogs typically fast themselves! When I do give them yogurt, its normally greek (higher in protein) and they're fine with that when they eat it. Sometimes I will offer something like a chicken drumstick and they will just walk away. Then I put out some yogurt (which I think they think is candy) and will eat some then stop.

I don't know...I know I have odd dogs already (like spyro will lock himself in his crate and stay in there on his own for 14ish hours) but urgh.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
But Loki doesn't fast, right? So no need to try to get him to IMO :).

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah he does lol. Yesterday I brought out his favorite. He just sat up and looked at me with sad eyes like "mommy I'm not hungry why are you doing this?" Was kind of pathetic lol.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Then I'm not sure what the problem is. If he fasts himself and has been doing fine, I'd just let him decide for himself like you're doing :). He obviously doesn't have issues fasting...believe me, you'd know. Sophie will start throwing up bile and panting if she goes more than like 15 hours without food (regardless of if she's on kibble, pre-made raw, or prey model raw).

I would, however, not let them gorge too much if they're new to raw since it could result in some sick pups. If you do gorge days, use chicken or something else easily digestible and "bland" as opposed to something rich like beef heart or liver.

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah he has done it for a year now. No sickies or anything. He did enjoy that duck the next day though (yesterday)

·
Registered
802 Posts
My aunt use this kind of feeding bowl slow her dane pup when eating. Good thing, Lexi loves meaty bones and veggies now which are all great raw diet.

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my dogs are not veggie eaters (and I can find a whole ton of research why including how fiber is digested) but either way. Yes those are great. Rocks work well too. My dogs don't use bowls unless they are about to be put up for board.

I wish I could get my boyfriend to eat slower hahaha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts