Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad2::crylaugh:I got a pup about 4 months ago and have never experienced the crazyness of this dog. He poops and pees everywhere. He is super highper!!! and this is an understatment he is sometimes uncontrollable. We have tried potty training him to go outside he still goes inside both pee and poo. If anyone can just give me ideas on what to do to calm him and teach him.:wavey: We dont know what kind of dog he is but one vet said he is an Austrailian Shepherd Mix. He is different looking. He is a small dog perhaps mixed with a larger dog. Our sister inlaw gave him to us. She doesn't know either. HELP!!!

·
Amateur Zookeeper
3,572 Posts
You need a routine, take him out at least every 2 hours but if you can about every 30 minutes that is great. Always take him straight out after sleeping, eating or drinking, and playing. Every time he goes outside praise him with treats and love. This only works if you praise him immediately after he has gone potty outside.

Always take him out to the same spot right near the front door using a leash. After he goes take him for a longer walk and praise if he potty's. When he goes to the bathroom in the house, use the rags that you used to clean up his mess and put them in the potty spot hear the door.

Also while he is going potty talk to him (nicely!) "Go Potty" that way he realizes what those words mean. You really need to be patient, it takes time. Stay with him wherever he is, if it means keeping him in the room with you on a long leash on use baby gates to keep him in the same room.Watch for signs that he has to go like circling or sniffing, and take him outside.

While training expect him to have a few accidents, when you catch him in the actmake a loud noise (clap your hands) don't startle him, just make him stop. Take him outside to the bathroom spot and praise if he finishes his business there. Don't punish him if you find a 'surprise' spot already, it will make him scared and he will probably not want to go potty in front of you. It will do more damage than good. Just clean it up. And you have to clean good! Dogs will love to go in a spot that smells like feces or pee. I hope this helps :)

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
It's ok that he poops in the crate once in a while when you crate train him, it's bound to happen if he's learning!
My friend trained her dog that way, and she said that he learned that if he went inside the crate, he was stuck with his poop right next to him so he'd much rather do it outside!

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
make sure your crate is small enough that he can stand up turn around, and lay down not big enough to have a poop corner

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Don't give up on him.
He is a puppy still and learning.No puppy is perfect and there are bound to be accidents.You need to get into a routine and keep up with it.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
I know you can look up how to potty train dogs and come up with hundreds of useful sites, and others here have given good advice, so I'm not going to post all that stuff again!

I just wanted to add that I have a veeeery hyper 8 month old puppy. The things that have helped me to deal with him most are plenty of exercise, and mental stimulation! A bored puppy will find ways to get into trouble, while a well exercised puppy is calmer and much easier to work with. I take Kit to the park every morning for at least an hour or two, sometimes we just hike and sometimes I'll bring his ball and play fetch with him or bring treats and work on his training at the park. If he doesn't get his morning exercise, he is just a terror for the rest of the day! Also, every day I do a training session with him. Sometimes it's just a short 10-15 minutes of going over all the tricks he knows, sometimes I'll be working on teaching him something new and will work with him longer.

But the combination of physical and mental stimulation has improved his behavior so much it's insane. Before he was so crazy I almost couldn't take it some days, but his new routine has helped so much!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts