Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a pet or two, but my situation is a bit strange. I like all animals, but I need a species that fits my situation, rather than fitting my situation to a particular animal.

I have a cage I made out of 1/2" hardware cloth. It's a 2-foot high cylinder, 2 feet across, with hardware cloth top and bottom.

The cage is in my bedroom, so stink and noise are a consideration. I was leaning toward gerbils, but I get the idea wire chewing might keep me up at night.

Maybe birds?

Maybe a reptile or two?

What do you think?

Lane

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Reptiles would be out of the question, because they need an enclosure that can hold heat and/or humidity. Aquariums usually work better for gerbils, from my experience. I'm not sure about birds, but I'm guessing that they would be too noisey for in your room.

Would you consider getting a different type of cage? What is your budget for your new pet, and how much time are you willing to put aside for attention and maintenance? Do you want something cuddley, or something to watch?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the thoughts, Jess.

I'm not sure about birds, but I'm guessing that they would be too noisey for in your room.
I spend a good bit of the daytime in my room, because a lot of my work is online. Noisy birds wouldn't be a problem if they got quiet at night.

Would you consider getting a different type of cage?
That's a possibility, although frankly it's the cage that got me thinking about a critter. I just built the cage for an unsuccessful attempt to rescue a baby squirrel. Now I've got this nice big empty cage! OTOH, if this conversation and other investigations get me interested in a particular species, I would certainly consider a different type of cage.

What is your budget for your new pet, and how much time are you willing to put aside for attention and maintenance? Do you want something cuddley, or something to watch?
I can't afford something really exotic. Being semi-retired, I have time enough to do what's worth doing. I don't expect something cuddley, although something that could be held would be nice. Something just to watch would work, also.

Lane

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
A bird could possibly work I guess, since they are awake during the day, and you would be able to spend a lot of time with them. They wake up early though: When I had my Ringneck, he started his little talking/noise making routine at 7:00 AM, and there was no way you could convince him to be quiet after he got going! Not all of their noises are pleasant to listen too either, so that's something to keep in mind too.
I'm not sure on the space requirements (you'll want to look that up), but maybe a parakeet or a cockatiel could work. Some one else with more bird experience than me should chime in though.

If you got a different kind of cage, I have a few reptiles in mind that might work too. ;)

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
I think that cage is too small for a parakeet

Perhaps a pair of finches. you could possibly set it up for a hamster but they can be a bit smelly.

get a cat they don't need a cage :p you can get a spaz one that is fun to watch, or a cuddly one or an independant one that wants to live his life in the same general area as you unless he wants loving, then he will let you know.

You would be able to tell at a shelter.

·
Curmudgeon
1,843 Posts
No offence intended, but ... seriously?

As someone who cares for animals, I think there is a problem when you have to get a random pet that fits your cage.

It appears that you don't have the knowledge to know which animal goes in what kind of enclosure. Hardware cloth is often galvanized. The Zinc can cause heavy metal poisoning in small animals, particularly ones that chew or are especially susceptible. Rodents and birds are out.

If you can't afford a real cage, can you afford food, housing, substrate, and vet bills?

Your post makes it sound as if you sound like you just want some kind of animal as a decoration for your room. Dude, that sounds really shallow. That's no way to take a living creature into your life.

IMHO, you should be getting a pet because you want that particular pet.

If you can't alter your lifestyle for an animal, I think you should just get an artificial plant, until you find an animal that you really care to have AND you can accomodate it properly.

Sorry if this post sounds harsh, but this just no way to pick out a pet.

Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A bird could possibly work I guess, since they are awake during the day, and you would be able to spend a lot of time with them. They wake up early though: When I had my Ringneck, he started his little talking/noise making routine at 7:00 AM, and there was no way you could convince him to be quiet after he got going!
I'm up by 6:30 every morning, so that wouldn't be a problem. A quick Google indicated Ringnecks may be parakeets or parrots. Are they two different species?

I saw a Sun Conure in a pet shop a while back, and I'd love to have one of those... if I lived alone. The noise and need for space would be a problem at my place.

If you got a different kind of cage, I have a few reptiles in mind that might work too. ;)
I might be back for more on that subject, though not for now. I do like herps. I had a Florida gopher tortoise for 30 years, and before I moved, I developed a wildlife pond with 8 red-eared sliders and a lot of frogs.

Lane

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think if you are set on getting a animal, figure out what you want -- do your research and then save up the money for it.

Remember: A bird isn't quite like a dog where you can hopefully train it not to make nouse. And some can outlive other house pets, are you ready for that?

If you are looking at a bird you should look at local bird rescues, they might even have cages avilable for you and answer any questions you would have.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In spite of the flames I lit, I appreciate everyone's input.

My few posts here cannot give you any idea of how I feel about my pets, which over the years have included every vertebrate class.

If I can find a healthy one, I've decided to get a parakeet. I've done a lot of online reading today, and I'm in a position to give it the care and friendship it needs to thrive.

I also investigated cage sizes, and read on more than one place that mine is big enough for a single bird. I'll be able to let the bird out in the room for long periods while I'm there, so the cage will not be its only place to fly.

Thanks again for expressing yourself.

Lane

·
Registered
8 Posts
Don't worry I don't think any of us doubt you care for you animals. (If you didn't you wouldnt have posted anything on a board you just would have acted).

Post pictures once you decide!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Post pictures once you decide!
I certainly will.

For now, here's the shelter potpourri I had for my five African pygmy goats at my home before last. Romeo is on the right, Juliet more to the middle, and Othello is peeking from behind. Not pictured are Ophelia and Lear, which were white. My dramatics major daughter named them.

Lane

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
JEALOUS. I would love goats! Great structure as well!
Awesome names props to your daughter for sure.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Ringnecks are smaller parrots, they can be called either. :)

Parakeets are cute. I would look into the Zinc poisening that Bob mentioned, though. DIY cages are fun to make, but safety should be the #1 concern!

And your goats are adorable!

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Goats are cute!! I agree with Bob on the whole situation. And yes, we do not know your situation, we all like to read and get to know each other though!! Tell us! Also, as for parakeets, IMO animals should be kept in pairs when possible. If I had my time back I would have gotten another dog and bunny bc of their social needs. A bird, being less new to human life should be in pairs. I hate to see them alone and I think it does terrible things to their health if all they have is a plastic bird look-alike toy. I strongly suggest you accomodate 2 birds at least. Think of their needs in the wild.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts