Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my rat, Pandora, has some red stuff around her nose. I don't think its blood, it looks like that stuff that is like blood that they get from over stimulatioon. I can't remember what its called. should I be worried? She's not sneezing, and she's not lethargic. She just started sneezing and rubbing her nose, like cleaning. there isn't any red stuff there at the moment cause she just wiped it off

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I put her back in her cage and she stopped sneezing and has now settled down to finish the sleep I disturbed by getting her out.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That makes sense. Thanks. I didn't know they could get nose bleeds.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
It's most likely porphyrin, which is not blood (not a nose bleed, either)--it's natural discharge from the nose and eyes. If it is just a little bit, it should not be a problem. Sometimes after waking up they might have a bit around their nose and eyes. If they start getting more than usual, if it stays on their face after they've washed themselves, and if accompanied by other symptoms (like breathing sounds, lots of sneezing, lethargy, not eating or drinking as normal) then you should make a trip to the vet, because it could be a sign of illness.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now that you mention it, Breyer, Pita had some in the corners of her eyes. Just little tiny bits. Hmm. I think this is only the second time I've seen it on them, though

1 - 9 of 9 Posts