Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
You certainly can :). Degus are very social animals. If they've been separated for a while make sure to take introductions slowly as with any two degus.

How large is the cage?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3 foot wide by 4 foot tall, I have the mother, father and 5 babies total. I cannot afford to get the male neutered and I cannot bear to give him away. I'm going to divide the cage and want to keep the males in one half and females in the other half, So they will still have close contact with the other sex but not physical contact. Will they fight when they smell the girls in heat??

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
3 foot wide by 4 foot tall, I have the mother, father and 5 babies total. I cannot afford to get the male neutered and I cannot bear to give him away. I'm going to divide the cage and want to keep the males in one half and females in the other half, So they will still have close contact with the other sex but not physical contact. Will they fight when they smell the girls in heat??
How do you plan to divide the cage? They can breed through bars. Degus don't really have heat cycles but yes, they may fight over the girls.

Could you get a second cage? That cage is kind of small to be dividing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its a two story cage so I was hoping to seperate the levels.. They have lots of ropes and branches to climb and chew on, can they breed through any opening? Can they breed upside down, I think thats the only way they could get to each other..

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Its a two story cage so I was hoping to seperate the levels.. They have lots of ropes and branches to climb and chew on, can they breed through any opening? Can they breed upside down, I think thats the only way they could get to each other..
That wouldn't be enough room for all of them, degus need a lot of space (especially males). I'm not sure if they could breed upside down, I just know they can breed through bars when two cages are pushed together.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:) thank you so much for your help. I will see about getting a seperate cage. For now they are all just enjoying time as a family...

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
You need to separate him before the mother has another litter (they can be bred right after giving birth).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They were separated for about a month after birth, he was allowed supervised visits with the mother and babies every day and when he stopped showing interest in her, in that way, I put them back together, I know that I need to separate them soon before momma or one of the girls get pregnant but Im not sure when to do that..

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
They were separated for about a month after birth, he was allowed supervised visits with the mother and babies every day and when he stopped showing interest in her, in that way, I put them back together, I know that I need to separate them soon before momma or one of the girls get pregnant but Im not sure when to do that..
She's probably already pregnant again or will be soon :(. He absolutely must be kept separate, there's no way you can supervise 24-7 and mating only takes a minute.

Please, please separate them before you're overwhelmed with another litter. The mother might not make it if she's bred again (or she'll simply reject one of the litters).

By the way, sometimes females mature early and your female babies might be old enough to mate now. It would be terrible if the father mated with one of the daughters when they're so young :(.

If you can't afford a neuter or another cage (try craigslist and freecycle for cheap/free cages), the males need to be rehomed.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
EEK. I will go out today and get a cage for the males. Thank you again.
Glad to hear it! :) I didn't mean to totally freak you out but I'd also hate for you to lose one of your babies.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I am extremly sad to say that I think my female is pregnant.
I'm not surprised, honestly, it only takes a minute :(. Is she done raising the other babies yet?

You may need to hand-raise the babies as she could reject the second litter.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
She has two of her girls living with her but they dont nurse or anything. I can see the babies moving around in her tummy and she is bigger than last time.. I really hope she will be okay!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I put dora in a seperate cage a few days ago, and she started having her babies today. She has had 8 so far and lost 3. And as morbid as it, I have to ask why she ate the first and third but not the second? I am concerned about her mental and physical health.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I put dora in a seperate cage a few days ago, and she started having her babies today. She has had 8 so far and lost 3. And as morbid as it, I have to ask why she ate the first and third but not the second? I am concerned about her mental and physical health.
That's unusual for degus and probably a result of her being so young and inexperienced. Diet can play a role in other rodents so that could be it too...what is she eating?

I would go with age and stress, though.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
She gets fresh timothy hay every day, Degu pellets. And some fresh veggies no more than once a week. I give them all one sunflower seed a month because I know they are high in fat..

I sent you a pm. Im not sure if you got it..

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
She gets fresh timothy hay every day, Degu pellets. And some fresh veggies no more than once a week. I give them all one sunflower seed a month because I know they are high in fat..

I sent you a pm. Im not sure if you got it..
You can feed veggies every day if you want :). Mine got a salad every evening (when it was time to go back into the cage...great reward for them). The key is limiting sugary vegetables (like carrots) and calcium-rich vegetables (like spinach and kale).

Like I said, though, I think this is more a case of her being too young. Healthy, mature adults don't eat their babies unless something is seriously wrong but your degu is quite young if I remember correctly. Didn't she also have two litters back to back or am I thinking of someone else on here?

I didn't get a PM from you but saw a comment you left on my profile. I responded to it earlier today :). I just got back from a trip last night and hadn't been online since Wednesday.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is her second litter and they first babies are only 4 months old, Thats why I was so concered for her mental health. Where did you take a trip too?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts