Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning when I went downstairs to have breakfast, Sunny had passed away.

She hadn't been acting sick or anything... Last night when I cleaned to cage and fed them, she was acting perfectly normal... When I fed them veggies, she devoured them and tried to pull all the lettuce into their hut so she could have it all for herself, like usual. Her fur was all poofed out, but I didn't think much of it, because she just does that every once in a while... I don't know if that meant anything or not...
I pet her a few times and said good night, and then I went to bed.

My dad went down stairs at 4:30 AM and she was still alive. He said that she was just resting while Tilly was running around, and that she wasn't breathing hard or acting distressed or anything, and she looked peaceful. She was about 6 years old (I adopted her, so I'not sure...) and May 4th would have been her 4 year "Gatcha Day" with me.

I feel so horrible. I wish I could have been a better piggie mom. I couldn't give her a big enough cage, or the brand of food I wanted, and I just feel so terrible. And I don't want to adopt another one because I don't feel like I can take good enough care of them, so now poor little Tilly is going to be all alone and she is only about 3.

Rest in peace little girl. You really were a sweetie pie. Have fun with Lizzie over the Rainbow Bridge.

·
Registered
374 Posts
It's never easy losing a loved pet. Sunny may not have had everything you wanted to provide but I'm sure she had all she needed which is the love you gave.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
aww jess im sorry that your little one passed away.
but you are a great mommy , know matter what you think at this time. You gave her an amazing home, and opened your heart to her.
rip little one, have fun over the rainbow bridge till you and jess and tilly meet again.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Oh my! I'm sorry, Jess! You did the best you could. It's normal for someone to feel like they could have done more for their pet who passed away -the reality is you did the best you could, and that's the best you can do.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.

She was older, but she seemed so healthy and I was so not expecting this...

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'm sorry Jess, you were a great piggie Mom! Please give Tilly extra hugs from all of us!

·
It's all for them
603 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss of your beloved Sunny. Please, don't blame yourself. She may have been older than you knew, or she may have had something wrong inside..or it was just her time to go.

I'm sure you take excellent care of your beloved pets. I don't know a lot about piggies, but I have read many times that they are very sociable with their own kind and do not do well alone, so I hope after a time you will reconsider getting Tilly another roommate, and s/he will be lucky to be with you.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm so sorry...there are just no words to describe the big empty hole they leave when they pass. And I agree, any animal would have a good home with you!

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss :(. Don't beat yourself up, you took amazing care of her. Much better than most people treat their cavies. She was very loved and that's what matters.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again, guys.

That's the thing I'm REALLY having a problem with right now... Tilly being alone. I just don't feel right getting another pig, because I know my cage isn't big enough and I can't get a bigger one, and I can't give them enough floor time either (my mom is funny about those things...). I just can't justify getting another one when I can't even live up to my own care expectations.
I'm worried about Tilly, because my sister doesn't put as much effort into taking care of them as I did... I just don't know what to do. I'll talk more tomorrow... Ugh. I just miss my little girl. I wish I could go back 24 hours...

·
Guarded by Waffles
2,921 Posts
Jess you did what you could with what you had. I know a great pet mom like you wanted to do everything for them. Don't beat yourself up (I know easier said than done!) She knew you loved her and that's all that matters. That and you did the best you could for her! If you tried she knows it!

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks. I'm feeling a lot better today... 6 years isn't bad for a guinea pig, I guess, and she wasn't sick or suffering.
I might get to foster some small animals if I can find an organization near by, or adopt a little gecko or something after spring break. IDK... I'm still not sure what I am going to do now...

I'm observing at the vet clinic tomorrow morning though. They said I could keep her in their freezer until I can burry her in the spring. :(

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Oh, so sorry Jess. One thing you must try to get first is that you ARE a wonderful mom to all your little critters. You are 100% accurate in all you do, you are only able to work within your means and I know the gp's would tell you in English if they could just how much they appreciate you. Even though your sister may not be as keen to detail as you are, at least you are able to provide them with a nice home, food, treats and veggies. You visit and talk to them everyday and while we set up expectations for ourselves which we can never accomplish you still are an amazing person. Do not fret yourself about care of your pets.
While you are grieving, Tilly still needs you. Tilly may have had the chance to say goodbye and be there comforting Sunny all along so spend your time on her now. Give her an extra treat and together you can help each other overcome this terible loss.

On a lighter note, its wonderful that you have vet connections and they will hang onto Sunny for you. They may also help you through the grieving process. Just remember, we're all here for you and hope you feel better. It never is easy losing a little friend and at least everyone on this forum has the experience and comfort to share. Bless.

·
can't think of one, help
1,115 Posts
So sorry for your loss, I know I still miss my piggies. 6years is quite old for a piggy I think. Not sure where I heard that 5 was average. I think she was lucky to have had you and loved you also.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you.

There was an adorable rescued beardie at the vets yesterday who made me feel better... Some one brought him in and he had an impaction from sand that needed surgery, but the owner couldn't afford it. So the vet clinic adopted him and did the surgery, and he is one of the clinic pets now. He is really skinny, but he is even bigger than Dudley is (a good 24", by the looks of it) and he is a total sweet heart.

I'm really hoping I can help some more little animals, and focus on spoiling Smudge and Dudley a little more for now. Since we only have 2 hay eating animals now, I bet I can buy some nice Meadow Farms hay some time. :)

And Tilly has been doing OK. She is really outgoing, so she is handling being alone better than Sunny did when Lizzie died, and she has been getting attention every day. I think my mom and sister are going to move her to a smaller cage now though. :(

·
Super Moderator
322 Posts
I'm sorry that you lost Sunny. I know how you feel, because I lost my guinea pig, Ginger, this past summer. It sounds like Sunny lived a normal guinea lifespan. I think that you did a great job in caring for your guinea pigs, and you shouldn't feel that you let Sunny down. I didn't see this thread until today, or I would have posted a few days ago. Hope that you get to feeling better soon. (Hugs)

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks. :)

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Jess, I am so sorry about Sunny..what a sweet girl. I know she was loved and you were a good mommy to her. Please give Tilly my love and a smooch too. I am sure Tilly needs lots of your love and attention right now. Rest in Peace little Sunny.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts