Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning when I went downstairs to have breakfast, Sunny had passed away.

She hadn't been acting sick or anything... Last night when I cleaned to cage and fed them, she was acting perfectly normal... When I fed them veggies, she devoured them and tried to pull all the lettuce into their hut so she could have it all for herself, like usual. Her fur was all poofed out, but I didn't think much of it, because she just does that every once in a while... I don't know if that meant anything or not...
I pet her a few times and said good night, and then I went to bed.

My dad went down stairs at 4:30 AM and she was still alive. He said that she was just resting while Tilly was running around, and that she wasn't breathing hard or acting distressed or anything, and she looked peaceful. She was about 6 years old (I adopted her, so I'not sure...) and May 4th would have been her 4 year "Gatcha Day" with me.

I feel so horrible. I wish I could have been a better piggie mom. I couldn't give her a big enough cage, or the brand of food I wanted, and I just feel so terrible. And I don't want to adopt another one because I don't feel like I can take good enough care of them, so now poor little Tilly is going to be all alone and she is only about 3.

Rest in peace little girl. You really were a sweetie pie. Have fun with Lizzie over the Rainbow Bridge.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.

She was older, but she seemed so healthy and I was so not expecting this...

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again, guys.

That's the thing I'm REALLY having a problem with right now... Tilly being alone. I just don't feel right getting another pig, because I know my cage isn't big enough and I can't get a bigger one, and I can't give them enough floor time either (my mom is funny about those things...). I just can't justify getting another one when I can't even live up to my own care expectations.
I'm worried about Tilly, because my sister doesn't put as much effort into taking care of them as I did... I just don't know what to do. I'll talk more tomorrow... Ugh. I just miss my little girl. I wish I could go back 24 hours...

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks. I'm feeling a lot better today... 6 years isn't bad for a guinea pig, I guess, and she wasn't sick or suffering.
I might get to foster some small animals if I can find an organization near by, or adopt a little gecko or something after spring break. IDK... I'm still not sure what I am going to do now...

I'm observing at the vet clinic tomorrow morning though. They said I could keep her in their freezer until I can burry her in the spring. :(

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you.

There was an adorable rescued beardie at the vets yesterday who made me feel better... Some one brought him in and he had an impaction from sand that needed surgery, but the owner couldn't afford it. So the vet clinic adopted him and did the surgery, and he is one of the clinic pets now. He is really skinny, but he is even bigger than Dudley is (a good 24", by the looks of it) and he is a total sweet heart.

I'm really hoping I can help some more little animals, and focus on spoiling Smudge and Dudley a little more for now. Since we only have 2 hay eating animals now, I bet I can buy some nice Meadow Farms hay some time. :)

And Tilly has been doing OK. She is really outgoing, so she is handling being alone better than Sunny did when Lizzie died, and she has been getting attention every day. I think my mom and sister are going to move her to a smaller cage now though. :(

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks. :)

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thank you. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.