Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This looks like it will be expensive to correct... Has anyone had to get them extracted before? The upper left is erupted like these on the bottom but is loose. The upper right is still in the gum. The baby canines on the bottom feel rock solid still.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
That happened to Kit when he was a puppy! His mouth looked really similar, he had his baby canine teeth at the same time as his adult teeth.

I got a quote from my vet for having them extracted and I think my vet charged something like $20 per tooth that needed to be pulled. Plus the cost of anesthesia and monitoring and pain meds, but I was already going to have to pay for all that because we were going to get Kit's teeth pulled during his neuter surgery to avoid having to put him under anethesia twice.

Buuut about a week before his surgery, I was playing with Kit with one of his toys and we where kind of having a little tug of war match and tugging/chewing on the toy made his retained baby teeth fall out.

I've heard that letting them chew on stuff can help loosen the teeth too.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
if they are still there at 6 months old you can ask them to pull them when he is neutered

Most of the time they fall out by then though.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
if they are still there at 6 months old you can ask them to pull them when he is neutered
I was going to say that, that's what we where going to have done with our dog...but I think a lot of owners of large breed dogs actually wait until their dogs are older than 6 months to spay/neuter.

I'm not sure, but I'd guess if you are waiting longer to neuter for health/growth reasons and the teeth don't fall out on their own you would probably have to get the teeth taken care of before the neuter.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
He got his junk cut off on the Feb 8th.... I like for those little nuggets to expire early.

I noticed blood on Noah's coat last weekend after some rough play. I checked Harley's mouth excited to see some new teeth but all I saw were the babies getting loose. These came in really quick or both myself and the vet overlooked them! I'll be calling the vet in the morning to check options.

I've been playing tug with high hopes!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The vet mentioned that it's common with smaller breeds so it is something to keep an eye on with him. For his age and how much growing he still has to go she feels that they will push out on their own. So, I see lots of chew toys in his future. :p

Also, holy crap he is 64lbs at 5.5 months. I have a big lil'boy.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Sounds great and everything seems happening to his teeth. Do you consider meaty bones too?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What is funny about that situation is that a rope toy (braided/twisted hemp) I picked up pulled all of them in less than 24 hours after the visit to the vet. Call me a worry wart. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts