Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Will It Ever Change?
7,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's exactly that :confused:

Before I can cross the room to pick her fresh poo up and toss it in the toilet, she whips around and sniffs it and starts eating it. I noticed it yesterday but couldn't catch her in the act (saw a poo smudge but no poo), then overnight she had 2 diarrhea. This morning her poo was normal again. Then today I actually caught her eating her poo! Yuck! I think she got 1/3 before I walked up. lol it's gross, and now we don't want kisses from her, and I know she'll now have diarrhea overnight again. I don't want this to be making her sick. Why on earth is she doing this? And is there a way I can stop/deter it?

She is 7 weeks old, half dachshund half boxer.

· Registered
5,304 Posts
Give her some pineapple. It makes it smell really gross so they want nothing to do with it. Just a piece or two during food times.
What brand of food do you use? some dogs if they are lacking nutrients will eat it again.

· Will It Ever Change?
7,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We don't carry pineapple because I have an allergic reaction just touching it. She has pedigree for puppies and loves it. I also smother her kibbles in a weaning formula to give her the extra nutrition I was worried she wasn't getting (from not being weaned properly).

· Resident Aquarium Nerd
10,108 Posts
Personally I'd consider switching to a higher quality kibble. No offense, but all the Pedigree formulas I've ever seen have been pretty low quality foods.
Yeah, Pedigree is mostly corn if I recall. Very little actual meat.

· Will It Ever Change?
7,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I'll talk to my husband and maybe we can look into it. We've never had any problems with dogs on pedigree before. Rider did well overnight, back to her usual self. She made 2 poos and didn't eat them, in fact woke me up barking at them lol. Also didn't have any diarrhea from eating a piece of poo yesterday. She acts like she has no idea it's poo nor that it came out of her lol.

· Resident Aquarium Nerd
10,108 Posts
I'd still change foods, honestly, as Pedigree is not good long-term. A great website for quickly comparing foods is dogfoodanalysis.com :).

· Registered
801 Posts
The best solution is to make him dislike the poops totally, my cousin's dog had this issue and soon discovered a cat's poop and take a bite..

· canis lupus familiaris
551 Posts
The best solution is to make him dislike the poops totally, my cousin's dog had this issue and soon discovered a cat's poop and take a bite..
Yeah...my dogs LOVE cat poop.

But in general poop eating is caused by vitamin deficiency. The body can be too busy trying to rid itself of poor ingredients to get all of the nutrients. If someone were to eat McDonalds all day and take a multivitamin, it wouldn't be nearly as good as if someone ate healthy meals and took the same multivitamin. Yes the healthier person would have a lot of vitamins that wouldn't be used but their body could make better use with it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.