Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think me and my kids are getting ringworm from our rats! Does anyone know of any over the counter anti-fungal products for rats? I know of lots for humans since I used to show horses in Houston and with the humidity we we had a few outbreaks at the barn.
Are there any for rats? I would prefer to keep the cost of my vet bills down. I am almost 100% sure this is where we are picking it up. and how do you bathe a rat?????
Thanks for ANY advice!

·
Official Loofah Tester
1,365 Posts
Hey Jm,

Welcome aboard. Yes, it's possible to get ringworm from your rats. Here's what the official Rat Health Guide has to say on both the infection, and its treatment.

http://ratguide.com/health/integumentary_skin/dermatophytosis.php

If you haven't already get a simple digital kitchen scale, the kind that can measure in grams. Using this on your rats will allow you to call in an accurate gram weight measurement to a vet for proper dosage purposes over the phone if he/she is willing to prescribe you medications without seeing the animal. Depending on the illness and/or the relationship they have with you, they might be willing to do that for you to cut down on expenses if not for this medical issue, then for future issues.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great! Thanks for this. I am just going to suck it up and go to the vet. It would be in all our best interest.

Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts