Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody! So Tonya was playing with the boys just a bit ago and we have had to keep Hector away from Robin. Robin attacks hector.. Dont know if it a male dominant thing.. or if Robin smells the girls in the room.. but he was pushy with Hector from the beginning.. anyway.. so Robin attacked Hector and got him just above his left eye.. Its A nice gash.. My question is how should I treat it? Do I leave it be? Or should I peroxide it and neosporin it.. what do you think???

Thanks in advance..

Hector.. errr Jimmie :)

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
I've heard never use peroxide on rats.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Oh gosh, I am so sorry about Hector. I was hoping one of the two new boys would not decide to pick on him. We feel so protective of Hector already, as we just fell in love with him when you got him. And him being smaller than his new brothers, it makes us feel even more protective of him. I hope he is okay? :(
I have heard people dabbing a bit of Neosporin on a cut but not peroxide. Hopefully you will hear from Lilspaz on this. Hopefully he will be fine but yes, I would be very careful with Robin being around him.

·
Official Loofah Tester
1,365 Posts
I'll leave reliable treatment advice to lilspaz, but my instinct says leave it be. If you could post a pic of it that would help us determine how bad it is. In general though, rats heal fast and putting neosporin could cause it to heal outside in, trapping any bacteria and setting him up for an abscess. Best to let them heal inside out.

There still sounds like several things going on. Introing males are always tricky, and some rats just don't like each other. Add to that females and young males hitting their hormonal stage. The easiset intro age is 6-12 weeks old. Before that, they can be mistaken for prey by adult males, and after that hormones start kicking in.

What intro process have you done with the boys so far? Improper or too rushed intros can result in excessive aggression and fights. It may also be just that, bullying. Sometimes a bigger male will pick on a smaller male.

What exactly is happening between Hector and Robin. Does Hector go up and get in Robin's face, cornering him and provoking a defensive bite for example? Or does Robin chase Hector around and attack him. From what little I know, the fact that it's a face bite, sounds more defensive on Robin's part. An aggressive attacking rat will go for the haunches and back legs.

What other kind of behavior is going on? Boxing? Stand offs? Sidling? Poofy fur? Rat ball fights? Slinking and stalking?

The first thing I would do, if it were me, is to either spay all of your females or all of your males at the earliest opportunity. Your babies are wiley and clever, and you will be playing with fire not to get one of the sexes fixed. All it takes is one mistake or one determined rat. For all my care, I've had two rat escapes with my boys in 2 years. If I'd had mixed sexes, I'd have 30 or more rats instead of 6 right now.

Not to mention intact males and females in one space raise the aggression and stress level in all your babies from all the hormones percolating.

Neutering the boys will have the benefit of cutting down on any aggression. Spaying the females will prevent pregnancy and 99 percent of mammary tumors. After that, you'll be able to house them all together, or have more options on house mates. Often an aggressive male can't be housed with males, but will fall in love with a harem of altered females.

Do a little shopping around for a spay/neuter vet. I've got two in my town who are excellent with rats. One charges 35 for a neuter, and the other charges 90 for a neuter.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Great post by Storyseeker. I agree to leave the wound alone, aside from gently wiping any blood off his fur with a damp, warm cloth. Generally speaking, rats heal quite quickly and well from gash wounds, so you probably don't need to do too much to it. (If possible, could you get a photo of it? That would make it even easier for us to tell you what to do.)

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Is it above the eye or on the eyelid itself?

This wound healed very well with no real treatment. She had a bit of a pull on one of her lids and that was all. I find if they bleed a lot I don't often worry about as bleeding is the natural way to flush wounds.

The girls you just got could easily set your young adult boys into hormonal overdrive, which can cause these aggressions. Robin's brother might be safe from it, but Hector is still a stranger to him.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I agree with lilspaz. Males in the presence of girls can go nuts!! Ha, no pun intended. When I was rescuing, and so keeping lots of boy and girl ratties, I tried to keep them in totally different parts of the house to reduce the risk of these little aggressions and other hormonal behavior. Of course, ratties do just get into spats from time to time, but in general anything that causes even a minor injury is something to watch very closely!

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
even just getting the most aggressive boy neutered for now should work. Apollo is neutered and Yuki is SO laid back so having females in the house has never been a problem. If you go for the spays your males may still need to be neutered. Personally I would do both neuter the boys and spay the girls. My vet has never done it or my girls would already be spayed.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think we are going to get both Robin and Whiskers neutered. They have been spatting too.. I dont like when they fight each other... I guess we will have to move the girls farther away from the boys.. Make sure they cant smell them anymore. Hectors gash is doing very well. We just made sure the cut lie flat and got his fur out of it and it looks nice... Wow rats heal fast.

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
I think we are going to get both Robin and Whiskers neutered. They have been spatting too.. I dont like when they fight each other... I guess we will have to move the girls farther away from the boys.. Make sure they cant smell them anymore. Hectors gash is doing very well. We just made sure the cut lie flat and got his fur out of it and it looks nice... Wow rats heal fast.
Their healing power after injuries and surgery is almost freaky!

·
Official Loofah Tester
1,365 Posts
...and James, it's in their nature to squabble to figure out who's on top. I know it's tough with our kids are misbehaving, but we gotta remind ourselves (again) every social animal does it, even people. Most of what's going on is in the ultrasonic range of them carrying on a detailed debate with one another. And oy, the cartoons I have in my head for what they're discussing outside of our hearing range. :) "I pitty da fool!" "Seriously, dude? Mr. T?"

They've got to go through it to a certain extent to find their happy place.

·
Official Loofah Tester
1,365 Posts
(Sometimes it's best to cultivate a sense of humor about our guys when they drive us crazy)

Drawing I did of my psycho little rat Melon

·
Official Loofah Tester
1,365 Posts
Melon did this to Jeffrey:

It was gone in two days.

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
I would agree the older boys need to be neutered. They were showing signs of dominance behaviours before the addition of the girls, so I am not surprised to see this.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Aww, poor Jeffrey! Even with his lil cut, he still looks sooo cute! James, you are right...rats are amazing in their ability to heal fast and roll with the punches. I so admire them. They are tough little cookies, eh? Love the cartoon of Melon, Storyseeker, too funny!

Also, James, I am so glad that Hector's gash is healing up nice. Yay! Give him smooches for me. We loves him. :sneakyhug

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Storyseeker, I've always loved your cartoons!! :D And that one reminds me of this video on youtube of a rat staring contest. It always cracks me up! (The background is just music, so no sound needed. I personally find it a bit irritating!)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts