Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it necessary to remove the father from the cage after the babies have been born? I heard that with this breed, you don't have to. I know they can begin breeding again immediately after.

·
she-mayor of Whoville
289 Posts
It depends on what your intentions are. If you want more and more and more then don't take him out. But quite honestly I would suggest taking him out as you need to think about homes for all of the babies.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Agreed. I would remove the daddy hamster to prevent future pregnancy and wearing down mama hamster. It will also prevent incestual reproduction.. (if that's a problem for the genes of robo hamsters?)

·
she-mayor of Whoville
289 Posts
Robos are prone to diabetes like my hamsters are, so this implies that there has been incestual breeding going on. At least, in America.

If they are pet store robos, then you are in even more trouble. there is no way to track or know the genetic lines.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
robo's are not nearly as prone ... However the mother willget pregnant again within 24 hours if he is not removed

I would urge you do more research hamster breeding is actually serious toomany dont take it that way which is part why needlessly thousands of hamsters die each year. I am not trying to be rude i use to breed mice but bonding ith them is so much better than watching them raise litters :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts