Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
The 24% protein is really too high for optimum health, but you can add in lots of daily veggies to bring the overall protein percentage of their diet down.

And pine should never be used for any small domestics, including your rabbits, as its toxic to them with long exposure. I am glad you switched to paper bedding.

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
I dont think anyone was trying to argue or start an argument. Just people on here try to share information in the better interest of animals in general.

I am glad you shared the information with us and none of your past pets got sick from pine bedding. The reason I myslef and other forum members strongly suggest not using pine or cedar bedding is becuase they contain oils that cause respiratory infections that can become deadly quite fast.
Actually Mousey the reason we don't like using pine or cedar IS the phenols but its not about the sensitive respiratory system but that the long term use actually poisons your rats and can cause organ failure.

http://www.afrma.org/rminfo2.htm

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.