Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Rats Town Rattery boys are such a sad story, but the ones remaining are real survivors and triumphed over their wretched beginnings or their First Life as I call it. :)
Only 8 were left in my home of the 28 that came in. But now we are down to 7. Gideon is at peace now, his frail failing body is now strong and healthy somewhere else. :)
The RTR rescue happened in the evening of June 2nd, 2010. I don’t think I will ever forget the overwhelming reek , filth and neglect we encountered that night. Gideon was one of the many…a black hooded like most of them. The 28 boys quickly made it known (by vicious fighting) that if they didn’t have to endure crowding of any sort that’s what they would prefer. So Gideon was put in with Finley and Malcolm and they stayed together until the end. Gideon went into foster with Dee along with his 2 brothers but came back a few months later, hormonally aggressive and was eventually neutered. Even then these terrible genes he had, made him still aggressive so I had to be careful near him. Age finally worked out those issues LOL

Gideon was in good health almost the whole time, considering most of them were sick or had terrible tumours, or other issues. But sadly in the end he aged very quickly and very badly, leaving him small, and frail, weak with HED and no upper body strength to drag himself around like his bigger brother Malcolm. He hated this new weakness, and I think he hated aging. Then the poor little man started bleeding out of his right ear…then a couple of days later his left, and he was starting to really exhibit signs of PT so I gave him a last Ensure breakfast and took him to my vet to let him go with love.

Soon aftering arriving - June 20/10

Sep 11/10 – back from foster care, the huffing and puffing was becoming evident

Sep 27/10 – with his brother

Oct 24/10...2 days post-neuter :p

Apr 24/11 – such a handsome calm boy now

Aug 5 Gideon over Malcolm…his coat had changed and he was thin and old

Aug 26 - Having some cereal with Malcolm

This morning having his last Ensure breakfast

· Registered
1,317 Posts
:hugg2: :hugg2: :hugg2: These posts always break my heart, but also fill me with joy, knowing that what started out as such a sad, awful situation was turned around to become a situation of love and happiness. He was a beautiful boy. I'll be thinking about you both tonight.

· Registered
2,347 Posts
What a beautiful and lovely boy...I am SO sorry about Gideon but I know you are happy that he is now in a new place with no pain or aging or sickness and romping with many of his fellow rat buddies, as we speak. I am also SO happy for him that he got a second chance at a wonderful life full of love and gentle care. What a lucky boy to have found you. We will be thinking of you both tonight too. Run and play and have fun sweet Gideon. :angel:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.