Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A happy beginning, to a sad end.

The family dog died last night. I had only known her for the 3 years I've lived here, but everyone else knew her much longer. I miss her. We lost a great, innocent soul today.

But it still wound up turning out beautifully. Just before my fiance and his dad put her in her grave, a monarch butterfly flew up, landed briefly on her body, flew up, then landed again on some long grass a foot away before taking off.

I tossed in the poem I'd written for her, my fiance tossed in a flower he found for her, and she was laid to rest amongst the long grass in our back 5 acres.

Sleep sweet, Meisha. You weren't the most intelligent, definitely not the most brave, but ****..you were loyal. And you were the FIRST, and ONLY pet my son smiled and giggled at. Run free now and forever.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. :) The monarch was a beautiful touch to a sad day. I've read stories of butterflies landing on caskets, or appearing after a loved one has passed, but to witness it was really awe-inspiring. She had such a terrible past - her old owner tested her loyalty by seeing how far she'd follow him on his bicycle on a hot summer Texas afternoon. Her paw pads started bleeding to the point he had to carry her back. To think after all that and more, and she still remained so loyal...and then got blessed with a butterfly after her death..it really was a happy beginning to a sad ending.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
aww im sorry to read about your 4 pawed friend , may she rest in peace over the rainbow bridge till you all meet again

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I'm very sorry for your loss, she sounds like a great dog :(.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Nibbler. Sasami - she was a great dog! She was actually from a litter of pups that were trained to be police dogs, but she was the only one that wouldn't attack anyone, lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts