Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there one of my baby degus seems to have a bit of a runny nose it had cleared up after a few hours they both sneeze occasionally nothing that would make me worry though, his breathing is a little snuffly but not wheezey, but this was only after he had been playing with the others and getting excited.
he is eatting very well and is just as mobile as before.
i have a hot water bottle ready if he does go down hill.
would it be ok to place a tissue near the cage with some vicks or olbas oil on to clear his nose as i dont want to do anything to harm him?
thanks guys for all your help and support:D:D

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Runny noses can be caused by all sorts of things as its both of them sneezing i would suggest its something in the environment that is causing it. Do you have anything like a plugin air freshener or something in the room they are in that could cause an irritation?

I wouldn't use anything like olbas oil or vicks near degus, i would look to see if anything is causing the irritation first and work from there ;)

·
Registered
467 Posts
It really could be anything from an infection to an allergy. Usually things with strong smells (like Vicks) can irritate their noses, so probably best to avoid that.

One thing you can look at is the color of the discharge when their noses are running. If it's clear, that would tend to point towards some kind of irritant, and if it's colored it would tend to point towards some kind of infection. That's not a hard and fast rule though.

Heat is good, a humidifier or vaporizer is good too. I'm dealing with upper respiratory issues right now too, so am in the same boat. If it goes on very long, I'd call the vet so you can look into it further. They tend to not show symptoms of being ill until they're really quite ill, so looking into sooner rather than later can be a good plan of action.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys:hug4:

his nose seems to have cleared a bit it has the occasional bit of crustyness on it but not a lot his nasal discharge was clear.
he has been very noisy today but he is eatting and running around and he has been enjoying a cuddle with his brothers.
he is only 7 and a half weeks so i think it might be the sand as i suppose they aren't used to their new things????
am i being really stupid but what is this vaporizer that you have suggested and where would i be able to purchase one????
thanks again everyone your great support and advice is truly appreciated :thumbsup:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i managed to find a vet in my area who new degus not only that but i feel they are really well priced yay
i took conker in this morning he has given him a 5 day course of antibiotics and suggested that it might be the sawdust causing his nose trouble does anyone have any suggestions on an alternative i could use.
he seemed happy with his breathing, and my little conker was such a brave boy his big brother mario came with him for 2 reasons one to keep him company and then two because i had shut the cage door on his nose:( so he got an anti inflamitary and was also a very good boy
all 4 boys are back together again :D

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
glad you got meds from the vet and the boys are happy being together. you use sawdust eh? like not shredded wood but actual saw dust? that just might do it, cause it is dusty enough....do you know what wood it is from? pine or cedar will irritate the respiratory tract for sure. i like shredded aspen

·
Registered
149 Posts
I tend not to use sawdust/ wood shavings with my degu. I prefer the wood pellet cat/ small animal litter you can get, its not at all dusty as the wood is compacted into small smooth pieces. It absorbs well and keeps odour down better than sawdust (well it did my two).

·
Registered
467 Posts
Not sure what you're using the sawdust for, but if it's for bedding, maybe time to try a different kind of bedding. Corn cob bedding has zero dust, but something like CareFresh is more absorbent.

If you use sawdust for dust baths, you could try switching to a chinchilla sand. It's heavier than the dust, and doesn't seem to be quite as irritating to the Goo's nose.

Just a couple ideas. I sure hope the meds work for both kids, so sorry that Mario got his nose squished. Those noses are always leading Degus astray! Please keep us posted on their progress.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts