Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello you Guys N Gals!!!

Well I just wanted to share some great pictures of our newest family members!! We went to the pet store for toys for Hector, Robin & Whiskers.. and ended up with toys and 2 new ratties!!!

Here is a link to photobucket to see all the pictures.

http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b176/jamesreid3/Hector%20the%20Rat/?action=view&current=173_1701.jpg

Introducing...... NADIA & GREYSON!!!

Nadia is the dark colered girl..
Greyson is the light colored girl...

And here is my boy trying to steal my food away!! it was so funny!

Hope you like the new girls!!!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
So cute!! Congrats on adding them to the family! Looks like you've got a classic case of GGMR! hehehehehe :lol: Aren't rats so much fun?!!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Wow, two new girls!! They are both just precious! Such beautiful faces! The pictures of each of them sleeping were just cute overload, so sweet! You are keeping the girls in a separate house, and with separate play times, away from the boys, yes? Just double checking, so you the girls don't get pregnant!

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Ahhh James, I am going to have to teach you how to avoid petstores, and petstore rats in the future. :D They are cute girls (beige and black hooded), but now you will have to watch them for pregnancy since you bought them from a petstore and they likely came from a rat mill. And you will have to make sure their cage and the boy's cages they cannot get into (a typical mistake is bigger bars on the boys cage, so they cannot get out, but girls can still slip in). The smell of girls could set off the boys hormones, so you might want to plan on altering 1 of the sexes so they can all live together.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have heard that pet store rat are not the best.. but we could not just leave them there. We got them at pet smart.. Its a female only pet store. They dont sell males. And yes they are in seperate cages.. ten feet apart.

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
I have heard that pet store rat are not the best.. but we could not just leave them there. We got them at pet smart.. Its a female only pet store. They dont sell males. And yes they are in seperate cages.. ten feet apart.
Well at least you got them from Petsmart...but still keep an eye on your girls, because sometimes they screw up and send a male in a shipment.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ahhh James, I am going to have to teach you how to avoid petstores, and petstore rats in the future. :D They are cute girls (beige and black hooded), but now you will have to watch them for pregnancy since you bought them from a petstore and they likely came from a rat mill. And you will have to make sure their cage and the boy's cages they cannot get into (a typical mistake is bigger bars on the boys cage, so they cannot get out, but girls can still slip in). The smell of girls could set off the boys hormones, so you might want to plan on altering 1 of the sexes so they can all live together.

http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/video.asp?video=RWE_web_edit_01_2008&Player=qt

ok.. I was blind but now I see. After I read your post I started googling petsmart.. and found this video. I am horrified. Other than not buy from them what can I do? Although i like to think that even though I bought from them I am giving those two rats a good home... I am very angry...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well at least you got them from Petsmart...but still keep an eye on your girls, because sometimes they screw up and send a male in a shipment.

At least I got them from Petsmart? Are they doing better these days?

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
James, I agree. Even though pet stores can have all kinds of issues, since you adopted the girls, I AM very glad they have a good home with you. :)
(I did not watch the video link you posted as I assumed it would make me cry for about a month so I wanted to save my sanity and not watch it. I just do not have the emotional belly for stuff like that, but I will take your word for it that it was upsetting. )

Your two girls are beautiful!! They look like they are really enjoying their new life with you!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Of all the pet store chains out there that deal with small animals, I have always found PetSmart to be the best in terms of the living conditions and socialization of their rats. Every PetSmart I've ever been to has always had carefresh bedding, lab blocks, and plenty of fresh water and even toys for their rats, so I don't have too many problems with them overall. The main issue is where are the rats coming from--and it's something that the employees of the stores generally don't even know. Pet store rats can be excellent pets, so don't feel bad about bringing these girls home. In the future, you will probably want to avoid it, but you have done a nice thing by giving these girls a good, loving home. :)

·
Official Loofah Tester
1,365 Posts
These girls are cutie patooties. You will find your girlies to be a bundle of energy and determination compared to your boys from everything I hear. I love these girls. Your little beige hoodie is just a dainty little thing especially. I will keep my fingers and toes crossed that your girls don't gift you! Eepers.

And don't feel bad. Most every rat owner starts out getting rats from pet stores. While most seasoned rat people avoid it just because of what they've learned going along, in my opinion, they aren't all bad. One would just be well benefited by educating them selves and becoming aware of what they are getting. In the end, I can't think of it ever being wrong to follow a loving heart. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Your girls are gorgeous! Nadia looks just like my Ari! I know how you feel about the pet store thing, I learned that lesson with my previous little pets and was disgusted after some research. But I'm glad they are in a loving home with you and your family now! You make me want to run out and add to mine!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts