Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my goos, but am now currently covered in tiny little claw marks! They don't do it on purpose, and the scratches don't hurt, so it's not like they're beating me up or anything. Bobby actually 'groomed' my thumb today, so they must like me a bit :D

They seem to enjoy running up my arms & going down the back of my tshirt, so I'm sure I have some back scratches too. But it's so sweet to feel them curled up together on my back, and I use this as a method of transporting them from cage to whereever I am letting them run around :)

Is anyone else marked by their Degus? lol. I would love to hear some responses ^_^

·
Registered
467 Posts
Ah yes, "love marks". LOL Those sharp little nails can really do a number! It's weird, because even with short little claws, they're still needle sharp.

One thing that helped me is to add a "rock area" to their cage. I used big river rock type stones - the ones you might use in your garden.

I made a large (sturdy) stack, and made it so they had to climb up the rocks to get a drink, or a snack. That way, they keep the little tips dull so they don't scratch too much. It might help you!

Scratches or no scratches, it doesn't stop us, does it? I think that's a good sign we love our Goos!

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Yes i have marks on my hands most of the time, mine have rocks and pumice ledges but still got sharp nails, i have cut them before but they sharpened them (i saw them chewing on them :lol: ) again :rolleyes: Its just a sign of being owned by a degu ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
yes i share the same problem lol i have just gained some fresh scratches on my arms also on my legs as one goo in particular seems to like jumping on my lap and sliding down my leg so i now have scratches to match my arms its all in a days work owning goos lol

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup since last writing I have also gained some new arm scratches!

Also, well, this is kind of embarrassing.. but one of my goos particularly likes escaping down my front if I am wearing a v-neck top... it's pretty funny to see his little furry head poking out, but let me tell you I have some scratches in a place no one should have scratches >_<

On a general note though, I am proud to be owned by 2 degus :D I had a party the other day & they were very happy to be cuddled by a lot of different people. They were almost like celebrities that evening!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
p.s. thanks for the advice, Amethystbelle & Manasmom. I will try to find a nice, big rock to put in their cage!

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
That used to always happen to me until I added a pumice stone to their cage and placed it right under the water bottle (so they step on it to get a drink). That actually seemed to help a lot, although I still get scratches sometimes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just like a regular pumice stone that you use to exfoliate with or something?!

My parents' house has a gravel out the front, so I think I will nick some of the bigger rocks. Maybe boil them in water, like when you sterilise things for babies, in case they have any muck on them lol.

On that point, I'm going home for nearly 3 days tomorrow. My housemates have full (slightly obsessive) instructions, and I have a promise that the goos will be fed. But I am going to miss them so much : (
Though I won't miss being woken up in the morning with them shouting at me to have their wheel back and be fed lol

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK- editing my previous statement. I kind of miss their chirping!

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
Well, one thing that I found helped more than rocks and pumice (which my girls also peed on, eww) was lining certain shelves, perches, or leap-n-ledges with low grit sandpaper. I'd also line 2l pop bottles (ends cut) with the sandpaper, by just stapling it...you only need a few staples. My girls found no interest in chewing it, but still once every few weeks...new pop bottles and new sand paper.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My degus scratch me a lot! I, cuddle them to my chest a lot and they tend to wriggle sometimes and I've got really visible scratch marks on my chest above the necklines of my tops. It looks like my partner is rather over enthusiastic or something and I catch people in shops looking at the scratches and at me in a rather judgemental way! When I first got my degus, they bit my hands and scratched me no end but, now they don't bite and just nibble me in a nice way. However, the scratches on my chest are always there because I am always cuddling them. I have eight of them and, of course, they all need a cuddle! The thing is, I don't notice them scratching me and only realize later on that I'm a bit sore. The scratches are quite raised sometimes and look very bad. Still....they can't help it and I wouldn't stop cuddling them. I know I should put thicker clothing on that covers my chest but they jump out on to me all the time and I can never be bothered to change my clothes. I usually put some type of antisceptic on just in case there might be harmful germs in their claws but, apart from a bit of itching sometimes, I've never had any problems!

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I got mine, my hands were full of those scratches. That was the time they were not tame nad scratched me. All my friends got shocked when tehy saw my hands:D

Now I only get "marks" when degus are climbing on me and I am wearing a top or something.:rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts