Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I’m new here. My name is Marlies. Today I am going to be picking up the bun I have adopted from a local shelter, through the group that I foster for. He is a 4 month old Flemish Cross, and weighs 5.5 pounds. I recently lost my little Lionhead Theodore in may at 14 years old. I have 3 fosters but they are all small as well. I have only had experience with small and older buns so I was wondering if anyone could offer any tips before his vet appointment.
Should I be feeding him young rabbit kibble? How much should I be feeding him kibble wise? I read that flemmies continue to grow until they are about 1.5 years but he is a Flemish cross so I’ve no idea how much to feed him/ If he is still considered a baby.
also, when can I begin to introduce greens? Thanks so much for reading my novel, any tips would be appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
322 Posts
I am very sorry that Theodore your lionhead Rabbit died. Are feeding your rabbits timothy hay? You can try feeding him a little bit of greens to see if he will eat them. My Netherland Dwarf Rabbit that I got last month does not seem to like his Oxbow Rabbit Pellets.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your condolences. He got the best vet care we could give him and was free run, but he was 14/15 and he was tired and sore and it was his time. All my foster rabbits get Timothy hay, I contacted the rescue Arlo is from and I’ve swapped him to young rabbit kibble and have mixed his Timothy 50/50 with alfalfa. When he is about 10 months I can begin to reduce the alfalfa and transition him to adult kibble. He is being free fed kibble right now as he is still growing. How old is your Netherland dwarf? Some buns I’ve had in foster care have been picky about hay brands- maybe try another brand? You could also mix in some orchard grass hay to make it a bit more enticing!

·
Super Moderator
322 Posts
I got my Netherland Dwarf Rabbit from a pet store he is a bunny and that is probably why he is not eating very much kibble. My bunny likes oxbow barley biscuits so I am glad that he is eating things. He is eating Timothy Hay but I am also giving him Orchard Hay and Meadow Hay.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts