Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am 29 yrs old single female and RN. My parents passed away and I’m on a leave of absence till March. I have a cat and love her dearly - she’s 6. About a month ago, I started thinking about getting a Husky pup. I purchased 2 books about them. I grew up with dogs - a German Shepherd and a Husky/malamute. I have never raised 1 from a pup on my own. I keep reading that “Huskies are not for new dog owners” lol. I am hoping that with training apps, etc. it would be possible (& common sense). & the fact that I have this time to put a lot of energy and time with the pup. Anyway, I guess I’m looking for someone to tell me to do it and go for it 😂 I read that Huskies have a high prey drive - I think that raising it as a pup with my cat (never letting them hang unsupervised) would help keep it from.... killing my cat. I know they need lots of exercise. I have huge respect about their history as sled dogs and they are gorgeous and I love the occasionally dramatic personality. If I’m still single, when I go back to work as an RN in March, I would hire walkers on Wag when I’m working. I’ve literally wanted a dog since I moved out but with working 12 hour shifts, never did. Now that I’m on this leave of absence for a few months, really excited to hopefully get a puppy. I think about getting an attachment for my bike, so it can run along beside me and also about getting roller blades. What a blast. I love animals and am so excited - should I go for it? 😊 Also, my cat lived with 2 dogs in the past and they were buds (German Shepherd, then after he passed - a lab mix. These were my parents’/ family dogs). So I think she would be ok but I would have to protect the puppy at first so that she wouldn’t scratch it. Any advice is appreciated - thanks!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts