Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heyy I have 2 male rats and I was just wondering if you guys recommend getting them neutered? I have heard very mixed things about this so maybe cause you could tell me what you know from experience? These are my first 2 rats and I wanna make sure I do everything I can to make them happy :) Thanks in advance!

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
If you only have males and they are not hormonal, I don't see why you should bother. I only neuter when they need to live with females, or in the same household, or if they become hormonally aggressive. :D

·
Official Loofah Tester
1,365 Posts
Agreed. I am not against neutering at all, but while I've had all of them neutered, I didn't and wouldn't neuter them until we had aggression issues, or we added females to the house.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay I will keep that in mind :) I heard that at about 6 months old they can start being aggressive? My rats already roll around quite a lot together and especially at night I hear a couple of squeeks here and there..but I will be sure to keep an eye out for some serious fighting once they are older! thanks for the info :)

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Okay I will keep that in mind :) I heard that at about 6 months old they can start being aggressive? My rats already roll around quite a lot together and especially at night I hear a couple of squeeks here and there..but I will be sure to keep an eye out for some serious fighting once they are older! thanks for the info :)
They are a few months old? Sounds like boys playing :D

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
There is a lot of tussling and some squeaks and squabbles when ratties are young, as they go back and forth with the "who is the alpha rat big shot today?" stuff so this is normal, but I understand how it can alarm you...I went through the same with my boys as well when they were babies.

If it starts to escalate to a point that seriously worries you, such as bites/blood and things like that, then this is when you would need to worry about it. But that is an exception to the rule. My two previous boys never did have any aggressive issues with each other and they were the best of friends. :)

I know Spaz or Storyseeker could probably put it more eloquently or scholarly but hopefully I gave you a rough idea!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts