Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My degu is not feeling well today I noticed. Seems pretty well overnight whatever he has because yesterday he was running around like normal and today is kind of sluggish,cold,fur ruffled and lethargic. I only feed them Degu food from Petco and for water they get spring water. I haven't been home from work for very long but I have separated the two degu's for the moment. He just seems really thin right now. In the cage he's in right now he is sitting in the food dish eating. I checked his teeth and they seem normal. I'm wondering if maybe he is weak from food because I have noticed that while he's real little the other one is pretty round and I know they do dispute over the food occasionally. I have called his vet and she isn't in until Saturday morning (she's out of town). There aren't many small animals vets around here that deal with Degu's so I'm pretty much out of options on just taking him to another vet. Any ideas?

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
My degu is not feeling well today I noticed. Seems pretty well overnight whatever he has because yesterday he was running around like normal and today is kind of sluggish,cold,fur ruffled and lethargic. I only feed them Degu food from Petco and for water they get spring water. I haven't been home from work for very long but I have separated the two degu's for the moment. He just seems really thin right now. In the cage he's in right now he is sitting in the food dish eating. I checked his teeth and they seem normal. I'm wondering if maybe he is weak from food because I have noticed that while he's real little the other one is pretty round and I know they do dispute over the food occasionally. I have called his vet and she isn't in until Saturday morning (she's out of town). There aren't many small animals vets around here that deal with Degu's so I'm pretty much out of options on just taking him to another vet. Any ideas?
Is there an emergency vet in your area that sees degus? By the time they show symptoms, it's usually pretty bad (although degus are more resilient than a lot of small animals!).

I would use a syringe to give him Critical Care and water if possible. Other than that, there isn't much you can do but wait for the vet to come back.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Is there an emergency vet in your area that sees degus? By the time they show symptoms, it's usually pretty bad (although degus are more resilient than a lot of small animals!).

I would use a syringe to give him Critical Care and water if possible. Other than that, there isn't much you can do but wait for the vet to come back.
no there isn't. I asked my vet office if there was one around that i could take him to. He'll take a syringe right now anyways. He seems to be somewhat active just weak right now he's exploring his cage guess he got his belly full for the moment.

Where can I get the critical care? petco? assuming you mean some kind of formula anyways

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
no there isn't. I asked my vet office if there was one around that i could take him to. He'll take a syringe right now anyways. He seems to be somewhat active just weak right now he's exploring his cage guess he got his belly full for the moment.

Where can I get the critical care? petco? assuming you mean some kind of formula anyways
http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/vets/products/critical_care

PetCo doesn't carry Oxbow products (PetsMart does) to my knowledge so you might have to call around (some vets have it). It's a good thing to have on hand. It's obviously not a good food long-term for degus (sugar) but it's the best you can do for a degu who isn't eating. If your degu is eating ok then you probably don't need it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PetCo doesn't carry Oxbow products (PetsMart does) to my knowledge so you might have to call around (some vets have it). It's a good thing to have on hand. It's obviously not a good food long-term for degus (sugar) but it's the best you can do for a degu who isn't eating. If your degu is eating ok then you probably don't need it.
He seems to be eating fine. He's back in his food dish right now eating actually. I have a petsmart not too far from here so I'll go pick some up either way and just keep an eye on his eating habits just in case. it's actually where I go for my vet since the office is right inside. thank you for your help!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I took my Degu to the vet this morning. She said it was hard to determine just what he has without running tests but she advised that he was too far gone to really bother with them :(

So now being worried that the other would get lonely and depressed I bought two more Degu's. There was only one pet store around here that had them and they had 2 males Degu's about 3 years old. Which is about the same age as the one I have left. I have built them a cage with a divider in the middle of it to try to get them used to each other and hoping it will keep the one left from being lonely. Any advice to give on this? thank you in advance

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Well I took my Degu to the vet this morning. She said it was hard to determine just what he has without running tests but she advised that he was too far gone to really bother with them :(
Really? That seems kind of odd since you said he was still eating? I wouldn't give up so fast, I've nursed back degus who weren't even moving anymore. Try the critical care and see how it goes.

So now being worried that the other would get lonely and depressed I bought two more Degu's. There was only one pet store around here that had them and they had 2 males Degu's about 3 years old. Which is about the same age as the one I have left. I have built them a cage with a divider in the middle of it to try to get them used to each other and hoping it will keep the one left from being lonely. Any advice to give on this? thank you in advance
Go as slowly as possible (adult males are the hardest to introduce). I would have recommended quarantine first but it's too late for that now so continue what you're doing. Mix bedding around from both cages and let them share a dust bath (place it in one cage for a few minutes and then move it to the other). The whole idea is to get everyone smelling the same. You can put a drop of vanilla extract in the dust bath, too.

When you start actual introductions, do it in neutral territory (somewhere that none of the degus have been) and do quick meetings at first (a few minutes). Work your way up from there :).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yesterday I honestly thought he was feeling better. Eyes were wide open and he was sluggish but he was moving around quite abit. Everytime I turned around he was in a different area. This morning he was still eating and drinking like he normally does but his eyes were back to just about being closed and he didn't seem like he was breathing real well and within a couple hours of getting back from the vet he was gone.

I just got them next to each other at the moment in their cages of course. The two new ones don't really seem to care but the one that I've had keeps looking into their cage and trying to tunnel his way to them. he'll do that for just a few seconds then run back into his igloo for a little while. I'm trying to basically just leave them all alone. Would in a week or so just swapping a little litter and their cloth blankets around work the same as putting the extract in? or since one won't take a bath would I not bother with it. He usually gets his bath by me rubbing my finger in the dust bath and then stroking him. then afterwards he will usually go roll around in the litter.

My degu's won't take dust baths for some reason. All they do is poop in it. Not sure about the new ones I'll be trying them out with in the next couple of days just trying to let them get used to the new environment. Going from a fish tank to an actual cage I figure is an adjustment for them in itself. They seem to have taken to it pretty well though. They are jogging on their wheel just like when I first seen them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts