Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
4K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  meewolflover 
#1 ·
My 9 yo German Shepherd is running a fever and seems to have trouble walking. I was layed off and do not have enough money to take her to the vet. What can I do to reduce the fever? I have some antibiotics - for human use Amoxicillin - can that be given to her? I also have some motrin that I have used in the past - liquid to calm the dogs down, could that be used?

Please answer ASAP. I am going to hock what I can Monday and get her to the vet, but until then I need some advice please!!!

Greg

g.urbanowicz@att.net if you have some suggestions...

#2 ·
Have you called a vet and explained your situation? Often they will give advice over the phone. Many vets have payment plans too. It's worth a try.

Be careful giving medicines, since you can't really determine the correct dosage. Antibiotics probably won't help a fever. It really depends on what is causing the fever.

#3 ·
Someone told me one time when I was in a money crisis to call "Peta". I was skepitcal about that, but I called them and they were able to give me vets names that could possibly work with me. If you can't find anyone yourself, give Peta a call. They may help, but thats only if they are in your area.
I am so sorry about your poor dog and may God Help you find a way to help her.

#4 ·
Thank You

thank you both for replying! About calling around - YES - I called every vet around and NONE take payments. I even went so far as to offer a couple of my guns as security - BUT NO TAKERS! I guess vets are now in the same class as human doctors! What a joke they are, just want the money and the **** with the animal!Anyway, I am heading out in an hour to sell what I can to take care of my girl.Thank you again, but since I hunt and fish I think PETA is out of the question.Greg

#14 ·
I resent that

I guess vets are now in the same class as human doctors! What a joke they are, just want the money and the **** with the animal!\
As a vet I resent that very much. Do you know how many people i have let "make payments" . Most dont even call back. I havent seen a cent from anybody who want to make payments. I do everything in my poewr to help every animal that comes to me. You do realize that we have to be responsible about or money. Treating animals takes alot of money for us too, And if we do not get paid back it IS a BIG problem. You obviously do not know how hard it is to do what we do. SO dont say we dont give a f*ck about the animals. We obviously do going through all those years of school. Ugh

#6 ·
Instead of PETA, what about giving your local animal shelters a call? Sometimes, some of the bigger shelters have their own clinics and they'll often help people out by offering low cost survices, or will take payment plans. If they don't do that, they can probably at least recommend some good, lower cost, vets that you could take her too. Good luck, I hope she's feeling better soon!

#8 ·
Atleast you are willing to do whatever is neccasary to help her even if that means selling something important to you. It makes me very angry when ppl just say oh well don't have the money too bad! There is always a way. I was also going to suggest calling the local aspca or humane society but if you have already pawned some things I guess that wuld be in vain. Anyway how is she? Please keep us posted!

#9 ·
Anja - My Sick GSD

Thank you all for your prayers, thoughts and advice. Anja is MUCH better now and yes she is worth every gun I have and more! The vet gave her a shot and now she is her old self! She is one of 4 GSD's I have and YES I would do whatever it takes to make sure they are well. All my GSD's are fantastic animals and being in the situation I am in has made my "friends" give me me advice to "get rid of the dogs" - to me that is not an option! I have a breeding female, with A rated hips from east Germany, Roxanne I purchased for $5,000, I kept her son William Wallace 117 lbs red/black, Anja my oldest GSD and Blaze the GSD I adopted because of abuse. All are wonderful members of my family and if push comes to shove I would sell my Harley to ensure my GSD's are well. Does that sound sick? I don't think so, they are what I CHOSE to be with and my financial situation will change, but I will NEVER be able to replace the love and listening these GDS's have give me. Thank you all again. Greg

#10 ·
I am so glad she is doing well, a few years ago my aussie broke his leg and we were hurting for money so we to sold what we had to pay for it, you gotta do what you gotta do for your family :) and I am just so glad you were able to get her to the vet and shes doing well :)

#12 ·
I'm glad she's feeling better!

Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting you to call a shelter to give her up, I was suggesting you call to see if they would take her in their clinic.

Alot of the larger shelters have their own vet clinics that are open to the public, and because they run out of a shelter and can recieve donations, they often have the means to offer owners lower cost treatments, and/or payment plans. My boyfriend lives near the North Shore Animal League, for example, and they have an excellent vet clinic that is open to the public.

#17 ·
Don't worry Greg that is not sick, I would sell my house if I had to to make sure my babies were ok! I have heard the same thing when going through a rough spot. "Well just get rid of them" is the easy thing to say. Seems to me if they were true friends they would have offered to help me! I have been through financial hardships more than once in my life and I know how diffucult it can be. I am so glad Anja is feeling better please extend some belly rubbins' from me LOL!
Also Jessica I'm sure Greg didn't mean to offend you he was just stressed out! Trust me though I know where you are coming from. The sad thing is some idiots ruin it for everyone else! I work at a shelter and I have worked in a vets office before and I have seen it happen countless times. People beg for help and swear on their grandmothers grave they will pay you next week then before ya know it they are dust in the wind. Then when an honest, good person needs a little help you are unable to offer it due to all the money you lost in the past. I know how diffucult it can be. I mean sure there are some unscrupulous vets out there who are just in it for the money, there are bad seeds in all walks of life, however I do believe that most vets are good people who truly do care for the animals but sometimes you are just stuck between a rock and a hard place and there is nothing you can do. It takes money to run any kind of buisness. Not to mention the education grants you end up paying back!! But on the other hand I know how frustrating it can be to have a sick animal and not be able to get help for it, people need to realize tho it's really not the vets fault please don't take it out on them. They do the best they can. If there was a little more public supprt out there there would be more free clinics and more resources but who knows if we'll ever see the day when the general public actually cares when it's "just an animal"!!

#18 ·
To The "Vet"

Dear Sir, I was not trying to lump all vets into the category of not wanting to help an animal. I am speaking from this ONE experience, not the persons who YOU personally helped then did not pay. To give you an example of what I delt with, I have a SigP220 set up for combat shooting worth well over $1200, I offered EVERY vet this weapon as SECURITY until I could hock some of my belongings - and NONE of them said YES. What was I supposed to think? An illegal alien can go to any hospital and get FREE medical but one of my GSD's who is sick cannot get medical attention when I offer to pay? I understand your education cost you mega-bucks, mine did too and I paid my bills and pay ALL my bills no matter what the personal cost. If you want I would be more than happy to collect your bills from your lame clients for a 25% fee - lol I have taken the courtest of NOT lumping all vets into the lame category and I would appreciate YOU not lumping me into your lame customer category.Greg

#19 ·
Appology

I would like to say I am sorry for venting my frustrations to everyone on this board and especially to Jessica! I had no intention of using this message board as a sounding board and I should have left well enough alone and not responded in the way I did toward the vets in my area. Please accept this appology and it will not happen again. Greg

#20 ·
Well I can understand both of your frustrations. I've had some really bad experiences with vets and some very good ones. I think the best thing to keep in mind is that we're all people. There are bad people and good people. There are bad vets and good vets, just as there are good and bad in any profession. There are bad and good customers too!

#21 ·
No problem Greg. I also jumped at you a little bit quickly after i read what you said, i hope you could understand where i was coming from though. Thank you for the apology and i accept it. I would also like to apologize to you for jumping at you. :) HOw is you doggy doing? still good?

#23 ·
I feel the same way about our fur kids too. We have 3 German Shepherds too. But I would feel the same way no matter what breed I have. We love our fur kids. Good to hear that she is better. I will pray for you to get a job soon. One time in our lives we had job problems too. We were almost on the street. We had 3 dogs then. We bought their food before we bought anything else. And if we had ended up on the street our 3 dogs would be with us. But we prayed a lot and things got better and that didn't happen.Thank God:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.