Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Pet skunks and toes

I do not know what it is about toes, but pet skunks have a thing for them. Someone told me it is because they are near sighted and they think they see mice? I don't know about that theory, but we always wear socks in the house now. Penelops has never seen a mouse that I know of.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just wanted to state why raccoons should never be bred as pets or tried to be domesticated. Raccoons are rabies vector species. This means they do not have to get it from another animal, they CARRY it. A breeder will not know if the animals has it or not unless it is killed and tested. DOGS are not rabies carriers. So whoever made the comment about it being no more of a problem then a dog breeder really needs to educate themselves. Raccoons can carry rabies and act completely normal. You would never know that the animal carries it until it actually turns into the the virus/infection and they turn rabid and act weird. Just because a raccoon acts normal all its life does not mean it does not have rabies.
Another thing is Raccoon round worm. Raccoons carry this in their feces. The animal will leave the feces and another animal will become infected and paralyzed so they become easy prey. If you come in contact with Raccoon feces you can EASILY get RRW yourself and to this day there is no cure for it.
AS a wildlife rehabber we take all precautions even with the cute little babies, wearing thick gloves and have our pre-exposure rabies shots.
Raccoons will never be fully domesticated and will always be a risk to humans. As cute and loveable as they can be, they can be nasty the net day, especially if they have pups around.
A Raccoon that was hand raised and used to people can easily snap and have a wild streak and decide one day to not be sop friendly. People really need to educate themselves before going to sign a petition to allow wild animals as pets. Not only is it a risk but it is cruel to the species.
( I know this thread is old but the info isn't)

·
Registered
133 Posts
That is NOT true. No animal just caries rabies. If they get it they die from it like everything else. Rabies vector means in the wild they tend to get it more than other species, raccoons, foxes, bats, and skunks tend to get labeled this way but there is no such thing as a carrier that never develops symptoms but passes it around.

Infected animals do not shed the virus until they start to show symptoms. Some animals display dumb rabies, where instead of being manic they seem "tame". If you come across a seemingly tame wild animal it is probably rabid and that IS displaying a symptom and it is going to die. A breeders raccoons not exposed to wildlife will not develop the disease out of nowhere.

Also vaccines work on exotics they just refuse to approve them for that use for public use but they do have approval for wildlife vaccine for non-public use. Breeders usually vaccinate their babies.

The odds of a domestic skunk having raccoon round worm is also extremely and they are nominally on a regular worming schedule just in case. The risk in general is not all that high anyway. The largest problem is in young children who eat dirt contaminated with wild raccoon feces and it sometimes causes blindness.

There is a number of worms that in the wrong host can migrate to other organs of the body any of these could migrate to the brain, including one house cats can carry. The odds of any of them infecting someone and migrating and infecting the brain or eyes to the point of causing major symptoms is very small, especially if you wash your hands after handling poop.

Dogs and cats carry worms that can kill your children http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/ascaris/prevention.htm
Domestic;y raised exotics are at a lower risk than most dogs and cats of getting rabies. Many people still do not vaccinate their dogs and cats and let them run loose.

"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Occasionally larvae become trapped in the small blood vessels behind the eye (Ocular Larva Migrans) or in the brain." http://www.petevents.com.au/news_articles/16.shtml

[/FONT][SIZE=+1]Human toxocarosis via pets vs. Baylisascaris[/SIZE] http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/4892/raccoonroundworm.html
It should be noted that visceral larva migrans and ocular larva migrans in humans (and other animals) can also be caused by feces of other animals - most notably pet dogs and cats. Human infection with the toxiocaris larvae of canine or feline roundworms is known collectively as toxocariasis. All cases of toxocariasis come from pets, according to the Texas Dept. of Health, Div. of Zoonosis Control, which states an estimated 10,000 new cases of roundworm infection occur in children every year, most often as a result of eating dirt contaminated with animal feces. Most human infections are mild enough to go unnoticed and apparently produce no permanent damage. However sometimes infection results in severe and even fatal disease. Common symptoms include abdominal pain, headache, weakness, lethargy and wheezing. Due to the public health significance, it is important to distinguish Baylisascaris from Toxocara. Not to minimize the risk, but in many states raccoons are being systematically euthanized because of the panic over perceived danger of transmission of the raccoon roundworm to humans as a result of two documented cases (one a fatality) to date, including a case in 1998 where a child in Pacific Grove, California was infected by eating bark on firewood that had been contaminated by raccoon feces. Over 177 local wild raccoons were systematically executed before a lawsuit by the City's concerned citizens brought the killings to a halt. Eradication of raccoons will not prevent the very rare disease visceral larva migrans in humans. However, education and some common sense might.

·
Amateur Zookeeper
3,572 Posts
oh my gosh I want a skunk :)

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
This thread has really derived from the original subject!

I am a wildlife rehabilitator in new york state, where it is illegal to have a pet skunk, and you need a class II license to take care of them. I have a class I but was helping a class II, and I think they are some of the cutest babies! :D

·
Amateur Zookeeper
3,572 Posts
Those are adorable!!! Do you ever get any spotted skunks, those are the sweetest :) So you release them back or sell them for pets?

Too cute!

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
We release them back in the wild! Wildlife rehabilitators are volunteers with a license who basically help the spca and people who find wild baby animals or injured adults.
These were found by someone who was kind enough to bring them to a shelter to try and save them.
I don't think we ever had spotted ones, just very differently striped ones, some almost all white at the top, and some almost all black!

What I LOVE is their teeth. You know how young children their front teeth have like three little bumps on the bottom instead of being flat and straight? they have those teeth as every single teeth! so when you look in their mouth they look like they're smiling really big! it's so cute :D

·
Amateur Zookeeper
3,572 Posts
That's great! I love happy ending :heart:

Oh thats cool about their stripes, I have only seen regular black ones with a stripe of white. And I know exactly what you mean about that teeth. I didn't know that, but its so funny!!! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would like a skunk. I have been searching non stop. I live in texas so i would have to have it shipped. Please let me know if you have any left. Thank you

21 - 33 of 33 Posts