Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...

So is it weird that normally Hector is full of energy and runs all over the bed.. and us. but tonight he seems very lethargic.. I gave him dinner and he nibbled for a minute.. then went back to lying down.. So I picked him up and fed him by hand and he ate well. When I wake him he seems to have energy for a bit... then off to sleep,.. Can it have anything to do with the fact we got 2 new rescue's rats today? They have not interacted.. but have been smelling each other. Once I put Hector next to the new guys cage and they smelled each other.. So what do you think... Just a tired day??? He mad cause new rats??? Something health wrong???? What do you all think??

Thanks

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Jimmie,
I just read this post so I am assuming it is before you ended up taking Hector to the vet and got the medicine for his tummy, yes?

I am assuming that Hector's tummy trouble had nothing to do with the new rats and it was an isolated case of him getting some stomach bacteria and gas from something he ate.

At the same time, since you are getting ready to start doing intros with the new rats, are they healthy and free of any sicknesses or respiratory problems so they don't affect Hector? Did the rescue lady give you any information on their health? Just checking!

By the way, I know Story has not been on to give you some good advice about intros but Lilspaz is a pro with intros too, so I am sure she will give you some good tips about the proper steps to take with safe introductions.

By the way, if I remember correctly (Story or Lilspaz, correct me if I remember this wrong!) I thought I remembered that Story did some intros where she took a clean bath towel and spread it across the bottom of her bathtub, creating a neutral intro area that was not the territory of any of the rats, as there was no rat smell from either parties.

Then she put the rats all down on the towel and supervised while they sniffed each other etc. for a short time. I also thought she put a dish in the middle of the towel area with something yummy in it that the rats would all have to come to in order to eat, like baby food or something similar, rather than a bowl with individual pieces in it (like peas) that the rats could not take away to a corner.

That way it made the rats all commune around the dish together. That kind of thing. Did I get that right Lilspaz? Storyseeker?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts