Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

One of my rabbits have VERY smelly droppings. They stink!
Almost like cat or dog poop.

My other rabbit doesn't have this smelly droppings. She smells more like a rabbit.

Could it be that my rabbit is sick?

I change my rabbits toilets at the same time, and I give them the same food, so you would think their droppings would smell the same.
(Both are girls and both are spayed).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is it runny, or soft, or just smelly? Usually has to do with a change of diet - if it's runny that's not good. Has its diet changed recently?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, the diet's the same.
(Has been for about a year or so!).

Normal droppings, just smelly :S

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Hm I don't know...are you sure it's the droppings that smell and not the urine?

Are you sure it's regular poop and not cecals?

If the regular poops are smelly it could be the start of a GI issue. An overgrowth of bad bacteria in the gut can cause their feces to be smelly.

I'd eliminate any treats from her diet for awhile. Foods with sugar, starch, and/or fat act as food for the bacteria and can contribute to the bacterial imbalance.

If that doesn't help, a trip to the vet with a poo sample couldn't hurt anything. It's not normal for rabbits to have really smelly droppings.

Rabbits have such sensitive GI tracts that I always take any changes in their output seriously. Keep an eye on her to make sure she keeps eating, drinking, and acting normal.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not 100% sure it's not the urine.
But it comes from the toilet, and her anus (I checked the anus to see if it was runny poo. It was not).

I only give her hay and pellets. She doesn't like anything else.
She never gets food with sugar or lot of fat.

Some thought it could be the "anal glands" (or what is it called?).
But I don't know how to empty them.

She's eating all her hay, drinking a normal amount of water and eating all her pellets everyday. And she seems normal too.

She hasn't had smelly droppings since I bought her, but maybe for 1/2/3 months (I don't remember). But it's annoying, cause she lives indoors.

What could it be if it's the urine?

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Do you just need a litter that controls oder better? What are you using? How often are you cleaning their cage/litter box? Maybe her poop is normal, but your litter just really stinks. If I run out of my normal litter and have to use aspen shavings or something for a few days, Smudge's litter box wreaks to high heavens.

Just a thought. If you think it is actually your bun who smells though, you should probably go to a vet.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Both of my rabbits use the same litter (wooden pellets), so if it was the pellets, I believe that both toilets would stink?

Besides, I just changed pellets to another brand, and it still stinks.
I know lots of people use the same pellets as I, and they don't have a problem with smell as far as I know.

Maybe we should take her to the vet :)

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Is her bottom dirty? Is there any poo stuck to her fur or is her fur stained from urine at all down there?

If the smell on her isn't coming from stuck on poo or dirty fur or anything like that you may need to clean her scent glands.

If you gently flip the bunny over, you can locate the scent glands by gently pressing along the side of the genitals. They almost look like little pockets on the sides of where the rabbit's genitals are - one on each side. They usually don't smell very good, and you may see dark colored waxy looking stuff inside the little pockets.

You can use a moistened Q-tip to very gently clean the stinky waxy stuff away. Just warm water on the Q-tip is usually enough to get the job done. If it's really messy in there or you're having a hard time cleaning it off with just water, you can try using a bit of mineral oil.

If your nervous about cleaning them yourself for the first time your vet should be able to show you how to do it. There are videos on Youtube if you look that give explanations on how to find and clean the scent glands.

If the bad smell is the urine, it's probably not anything wrong with the rabbit but with the cleaning schedule/litter. How often do you clean the litter boxes, what do you clean them with, and what type of litter do you use?

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Ops sorry I didn't see your last post before I sent mine!

It wouldn't hurt to take her into the vet just to see what they think. If it's her scent glands they could show you how to clean them, and if that's not the problem they could help you figure out what's going on with her.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Yeah, I use the wood pellets too and there is next to no smell. So bun-bun is definately the smelly one LOL! I hope you figure out what's wrong with her.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, me too. She doesn't seem sick at all, but who knows. They're good at hiding pain.

I think it might be the scent glands.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts